Verizon installed a month ago and my land line phone won't work
dianagee76

Had Verizon installed in December. My old internet/phone/cable provider raised their rates so I shopped around and went with Verizon. Soon after, my cordless phone would stop working. No dial tone and if someone tried to phone me, they would get a busy signal.

I've called Verizon several times for a fix. First replaced the line from the phone to the jack, then had a technician come out who said everything was fine. Had another tech come out and replace the battery pack in the garage. The phone will work, then go static and nothing.

I bought a new cordless phone, bought a new corded phone, bought a dsl filter..Nothing is fixing the problem. I went outside, plugged the phone into the box, made sure the wires were snug and voila the phone works...OUTSIDE. So now Im told its an inside wiring problem and I can a) add the inside wiring maintenance plan but can't use it for 30 days. b) call a technician to diagnose and fix the problem at $91 for the first 30 minutes and $46 for every 30 minutes thereafter.

Never had phone problems with Brighthouse. Not sure why now suddenly it's the house wiring when everything worked before Verizon. I don't have a cell phone so the land line phone is my only way of communicating. Does anyone have any tips or solutions? I feel like Im getting royally screwed here. This sucks, wish I never shopped around, wish I never switched providers.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon installed a month ago and my land line phone won't work
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

dianagee76,

Since we haven't heard back from you or have received a form submission as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

0 Likes
Joodles

Verizon installed FIOS last Thursday (Jan 30).  Friday and thru the weekend I had no dial tone.  Since Verizon makes it impossible to talk with a human being, I had to email customer service.  Even telling them I'm disabled with no cell phone, never heard back until today (Monday),  Eventually went through "wifi" customer service, had on-line chat & upon informing him of my disability he said he'd immediately transfer me to get the issue fixed on Friday.  Nothing.  I called the 888 number this morning to ask for assistance.  They sent a technician out.  First tech installed to incorrect outlet (when I turn off laundry light, it turns off the back-up box, so it continually beeps).  Current tech told me to go to Radio Shack and purchase "a thing that will allow me to split the power; Radio Shack will know what I'm talking about."  Also, only one of my phones (circa 1980 model) works.   Even the cordless phones I had to purchase for Vonage no longer work.  Current tech said, "COSTCO has a great set of Vtec cordless phones that will work fine."

When I made the request to return to Verizon I was told I could return to copper.  I specifically requested that & after research the Customer Service person told me it was still available in my neighborhood.  Yet, when 1st tech showed up, told me that was not true & I "had to go to FIOS."

So, Verizon installed a FIOS network I did not want, REQUIRING me to purchase phones I don't need.  In fact, all of my corded phones worked just fine previous to FIOS!

As much as I detested Vonage I'm already to leave Verizon.  Next step, Virginia Utilities Commission.

1-800-552-7945 (for those of us outside of Richmond

Hours:  8:15 - 5 (M-F)

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joodles,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Joodles

Thank you, Lawrence.  I just "successfully subscribed."  Should I hold off going to COSTCO for the phones until I hear from an agent?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Please continue to check your private support case for responses from the agents.  Questions concerning your case should be directed to the agents.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Joodles,

We have closed your private support case due to you no longer responding. We hope you were able to find resolution through another avenue. Please feel free to make a new post anytime you need some help.

- Jose_VZ

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you had phone service at one point from a Cable company, it's possible that the cable company disconnected the master cable that runs between the NID and your home's wiring. They do this so that the Cable modem/MTA device does not backfeed into Verizon's own copper, which can cause a plethora of problems.

If you have dial tone out at the NID, you'll certainly want to investigate where the breakdown is. If you don't decide to hire Verizon or a low voltage electrician to do the dirty work, start off by checking out your NID first. Use this guide for information: http://wire-your-phones.com/

From the NID, check to see if the two matching wire pairs are connected at the NID. Some NIDs, instead of having direct connect wires that are screwed or locked down, use a terminated RJ-11 cable (telephone cable) which plugs into the test jack of the NID. Sometimes this needs to be connected.

If the wiring checks out at your NID, you will then have to trace the wiring back into your home. Be on the lookout for any cables that look to be shorted,  cut, or loosely connected. You may also have to check your jacks, too, in order to make sure your jacks do not have a short behind the jack or within the jack.

0 Likes