Voicemail - appears to record messages but does not recongnize they exist?
chuck2525
Enthusiast - Level 2

On my Verizon FIOS landline, I recently began having the following problem:

1. I made a change to my TV channel lineup and re-signed to a 2 year commitment.  I kept the same internet and (I believe) phone options/features.

2. My phone console began displaying a "message received" indicator and I got the stutter dial tone each time the phone is picked up.  I cleared this indicator by unplugging/replugging the phone base from the power source.

3. I dialed into voice mail and re-set up my personal greeting.

4. I called the landline from a cell phone and let it go to voice mail.  The voice mail greeting sounded fine and I got a beep at the end of the greeting and appeared to be able to leave a message.  I did not press any buttons on the cell phone after leaving the message, just disconnected.

5. The phone handset and base indicated a voice mail had been received.  However, when I dialed into voice mail, it says there are no messages.

6. The phone continues to indicate a voice mail message has been received and continues to give the stutter dial tone, but voice mail continues to say there are no messages.

Any assistance is appreciated.  My wife wants to buy a new phone lol, but I know the phone isn't the problem.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Voicemail - appears to record messages but does not recongnize they exist?
chuck2525
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Eva, thanks for your help.

I just dialed *86 and it appears everything is OK now.  I had been using a number in my local area code to access voice mail.

Just BTW, the full access number you posted - 18002346786 - it should be 888, not 800.  That 800 number is some sort of marketing sinkhole with an endless series of (non-Verizon) offers.  I'm sure they are leeching off of misdials of the correct Verizon number. 888-234-6786

Thanks again...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, I'm happy to give you a hand.  (Please do not post any of your identifying information here such as the passcode)  My first question is this, what number do you dial to access your voicemail?  Is it 18002346786 or *86 or a number that begins with your particlar area code?  Is it a 4-7 digit code?

It's possible that your services were changed to digital voice when the order changed.  If this is the case, you will now access voicemail using 18002346786.  You will use the last 4 digits of your home phone number when prompted for your security code. 

Let me know if that helps.

~Eva

0 Likes
chuck2525
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Eva, thanks for your help.

I just dialed *86 and it appears everything is OK now.  I had been using a number in my local area code to access voice mail.

Just BTW, the full access number you posted - 18002346786 - it should be 888, not 800.  That 800 number is some sort of marketing sinkhole with an endless series of (non-Verizon) offers.  I'm sure they are leeching off of misdials of the correct Verizon number. 888-234-6786

Thanks again...

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

You are absolutely right, it is 888; apologies for the mistake.

Thanks for the update!

~Eva

0 Likes