When phone rings I hear a fax ring and can't talk to person on the line
RBExasperated
Enthusiast - Level 1

When my landline rings and I answer it, I hear a fax signal and can't talk to the person on the line. I have to hang up and call them back. This began just yesterday. I have Verizon 10mbp internet which runs at a snail's pace and a router from Verizon so I can use other computers in the house.

I checked all the phone lines and the "signal thing" (I don't  know it's official name) is between the wall and the phone so those are ok.

It's totally impossible to get Verizon on the phone and speak to a human so I've been holding on for 3 hours and no one has picked up their phone to talk to me. I just hung up and lo and behold -- a human was on the phone. How Verizon could talk to me when I hung up is a mystery.

All I wanted to know is -- why do I hear a fax signal when I answer the phone and when I call out -- the fax signal is not heard.

Cam from Verizon had me hang up the phone to clear it, could not send me an email explaining the results so I had to give her my cell phone number -- a cell phone I rarely use unless there's an emergency. She called me back on my cell phone and said the line was clear -- would I like to schedule an appointment to have someone come here -- it would cost almost $100 so I said no -- I would figure it out myself.

I read a message from one of your community members but they had a fax and were having the same problem. I don't have a fax machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: When phone rings I hear a fax ring and can't talk to person on the line
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you said you have no fax machines on your line, that does include computers directly connected to the phone line?

The reason that I ask is a computer with a dial-up modem (a non broadband modem) that can connect to your phone line, can have software that makes the computer act as a fax machine.

Re: When phone rings I hear a fax ring and can't talk to person on the line
RBExasperated
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for your prompt reply. I checked all 3 computers and NONE has any faxing capability.

Strange to say -- after I reported the problem and 2 days of fax screeching on the phone -- the problem disappeared by itself. God is good -- but I can't say the same for Verizon's having me hang on the phone for 3 hours.

Your forum is to be commended for trying to help out. Thanks again.

0 Likes
Re: When phone rings I hear a fax ring - Is All-In-One Device Connected?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@RBExasperated wrote:

... I checked all 3 computers and NONE has any faxing capability ... the problem disappeared by itself ...

Your forum is to be commended for trying to help out ...

Thank you for reporting back on how the situation was resolved.  Users here are always happy to learn that something was fixed, but not necessarily happy when something "fixes itself."  That begins to get strange (smile).

In addition to "dslr's" suggestions about computers with fax capability, there's the possibility that an "all-in-one" printing device may have been the offender.  If the settings on some of these units are incorrect, they will seize incoming calls and treat them like fax calls.

0 Likes