changing phone jack - turning off the live line
wardle

I need to change a faulty phone jack. I know that with normal phones the red wire is "live" and the phone line has to be disconnected out at the box while the jack is changed. But with the Fios I cannot figure out how to do that.

I am sure that there is a way to do this without having to have someone from Verizon come and do it (as that would require not only for me to pay, but  - based on my previous experiences with verizon - also I would spend several days sitting at home waiting for them to come and have them not turn up)

0 Likes
Re: changing phone jack - turning off the live line
Poorfellow
Enthusiast - Level 3

@wardle wrote:

I need to change a faulty phone jack. I know that with normal phones the red wire is "live" and the phone line has to be disconnected out at the box while the jack is changed. But with the Fios I cannot figure out how to do that.

I am sure that there is a way to do this without having to have someone from Verizon come and do it (as that would require not only for me to pay, but  - based on my previous experiences with verizon - also I would spend several days sitting at home waiting for them to come and have them not turn up)

Hi wardle,

With FiOS, there are two main types of ONT connections to home telephone wiring.  With the first, you simply go to what is called the ONT and remove the Red & Green (or Blue & White) wires that 'clip' into the terminals.  The terminals (called Insulation Displacement Terminals) should pop-out if you pull on the small plastic tabs.  With the second, you will find traditional screw terminals and associated test jacks, which are identical to what you'd find in a traditional NID for copper service -- disconnect the test jack from the screw terminals for the line you will be repairing and you're done.

This will allow your home wiring to be disconnected temporarily while you make changes.

Technically, you shouldn't get a nasty shock unless the telephone rings while you're working, but it's always better to be safe than sorry!

0 Likes