high background noise on phone lines
td160
Enthusiast - Level 2

I pick up the phone.  There is a dial tone but it can barely be heard due to the overwhelming background noise.  The noise is like having opened the door into a factory.A chorus of mechanical humming.  With this much noise it is pretty much impossible to converse with anyone over this phone line.

I do have dsl internet service.  I am using a Z-filter at each telephone.  FWIW DSL service (with Earthlink) has been spotty too.  The lines are owned and maintained by Verizon, however.  Hence the post to this forum.

Any ideas on what may be giving me this problem?

-Steve

Message Edited by td160 on 09-14-2008 08:02 PM
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: high background noise on phone lines---follow-up
td160
Enthusiast - Level 2

The repairman was out today and found the problem. It was a bad line outside the building.  All seems well now.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.  Also thanks to Verizon for taking care of this in a timely manner.

-Steve

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: high background noise on phone lines
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

Once you have determined that the problem is not with your phone, report your trouble to Verizon. Use the following link for trouble shooting and reporting, or just call. There are a lot of potential causes for a noisy line.

https://www22.verizon.com/foryourhome/erepairnet/erepairnr/Common/mainmenu.aspx 

Message Edited by HenryFarpolo on 09-15-2008 08:24 AM
0 Likes
td160
Enthusiast - Level 2

I should probably add that I have tried to isolate the problem.  At one point I had shut down the computers and disconnected the modem from the line.  I had removed all but one telephone.  Result: noise still there.

Also there have been times when the phone would ring, I pick up, no one there.  Probably a lost connection due to noisy lines?

I don't have a cell phone.  Just this service with Verizon.

I see that it is suggested by Verizon that I should perform a test at my NID.  I am in a multi-unit building.  The NID is outside and kept locked so that only qualified personnel may peer inside it.  I'd hate to think what would happen if every resident had access to this unit.

-Steve

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

Call Verizon. You are not responsible for a service charge if you have no access to the NI. Based on what you have done, it is likely the problem is in the cable outside. Call and get it fixed.....That is what you are paying for. Good luck!!   

Bob 

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
I agree with Henry. If you have the DSL disconnected and you still have noise then there is something wrong with the phone line. The chances are good that the trouble is outside but that many not be the case. Examine all of the jacks in your apt closely. Take the line cords out of the jacks and with a flashlight make sure you see the gold pins inside the jack clearly. If you see anything that is black or bluish green in color then replace the jack. If everything is ok with the jacks then call Verizon repair.
0 Likes
td160
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did check the jacks for pins. 3 jacks in the unit.  I can see shiny copper in all three.

I filed a trouble report online Sunday eve.  Monday I drove to a "Verizon Store" and talked to the guy behind the counter.  He wasn't useful except to point me to a phone where I could talk to an automated service that told me I was scheduled for service Monday eve.  

It is now Tuesday AM and the problem persists.  I presume the repairman did not make it out.  Oddly, I have email and internet, however spotty.

-Steve

0 Likes
td160
Enthusiast - Level 2

The repairman was out today and found the problem. It was a bad line outside the building.  All seems well now.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post.  Also thanks to Verizon for taking care of this in a timely manner.

-Steve

0 Likes
macmail

I have the same problem. I called Verizon and the first available date to send someone is Dec. 29.

I can't use my phone (due to noise) but SOMETIMES my computer is working OK  and SOMETIMES it's very slow.

0 Likes