Re: how do I block calls with Anonymous or Private or Unavailable as the caller ID phone number
larliz

I know this thread is old but someone is calling our home phone every night around 1:30 and about 4 times after that. One right after the other. The call usually comes through as "unavailable". How can I block this from happening? VERY frustrating. Please help.

0 Likes
Re: how do I block calls with Anonymous or Private or Unavailable as the caller ID phone number
Earla

I was wondering the same thing.  Get a dial tone on your phone, then dial *77  or 1177.  wait for the message.  I hope that helps. Im still looking fot the other codes. 

0 Likes
Lainer

I do not believe I have that function on my account...but have a similar problem.  "Kevin from the house washing business" with a five minute voicemail - calls me weekly under the "private" ID and I'd love to block this call.  Were you able to block your private calls?  Thanks.

0 Likes
reeve1

It's become a real joke. Verizon doesn't want to fix it because it will cost them money to make changes to the switch. If someone would pull out the CCITT Specifications you can find that any calls that spoof the ANI or look like I'm calling myself should not be allowed to pass through the switch to the subscriber. No call should also cause problems with the operation or ability of the caller id device to report and record call data. The call should be given a treatment, such as reorder tone, an annoucement or some other block without even ringing the subscriber's line. The trick where they call you with your own phone number even causes caller ID equipment, their displays and call logging ability to fail, even on the device provided by Verizon for this purpose. It doesn't even show the call came in. This is not proper function and operation of the switching network and network elements.

Verizon used to offer a feature package up until around 2005 timeframe that did block Unavailable/Unavailable calls. This was provided by a 3rd party at the time. I know this because I am disabled and was plagued by these calls at home all day long and had them activate it. Something happened shortly after 2005/2006 that caused Verizon to stop offering this feature package and it opened a flood gate of harassing calls. Verizon hasn't lifted a finger to do anything to help replace those lost features since. They don't care!

I left Verizon in September 2014 after 30 years with GTE/Verizon because of this and other service effecting issues and over-simplistic and ineffective solutions they offered, like blocking port 25 to stop SPAM (What a laugh, all it does is block me from helping to stop the SPAM myself). My SPAM increased when they did this. A week later they convinced me to bring my internet and TV account back. But, when I see threads that have continued for 4 or 5 years unresolved, Verizon has left customers to help themselves and could care less to offer any help, and I'm experiencing some of the same problems I had before I left.

Before I left, I spent 4 months on this and other issues. I even went to the Verizon Fraud dept. trying to resolve this because the calls went from IRS Scam and harassing to actual life threats. The only help I got from "Jody" in the Verizon Fraud Department was to ask, "Why do you let these calls bother you?" If you get transferred to her, just hang up. You will thank me later. I asked that someone in Verizon do something to report this horrid woman and again, nothing.

The best thing you can do is to do what I'm about to do again after being back for only 2 months... LEAVE!! That is the only thing they will understand. When enough people leave, maybe they will address issues that have gone unaddressed and swept under the carpet for at least 8+ years.  

Meanwhile, find someone that cares and will help!  Moving my land line to a smart phone was the best thing I could do. Now I can control calls coming in and have a number of free apps to choose from that give me more control.... I can even put on a whitelist that allows numbers. Only those numbers can call me. Anything else doesn't even ring my phone. I can look at the call log later, but don't have to be interrupted any more. No thanks from Verizon!  I also pay about $50 less for my triple play services now with my phone on a separate service as a cell phone. Much cheaper and I have much more flexibility... if I can only stop playing Clash of Clans and Boom Beach on the dang phone now.  It's Amazing!

0 Likes
sndez

can someone send me the info? 

0 Likes
ramsey76
Contributor - Level 1

I do not think you can block Anonymus or Unavailable calls

I have FIOS  digital voice and I block Private calls in one of the FIOS voice setup options

If you have digital voice you can use a free third party service called nomorobo.

https://www.nomorobo.com

This service limits  robocalls  numbers in nomorobo database to one ring on your phone.

We are getting some many spam/roboc lcalls that we a buying a call blocker device

0 Likes
bobmagnum

I have been recieving calls that display an invalid caller ID. The seem to be missing the last digit.  The call blocker and even theDNC list are useless as they want you to enter a valid number .  ANy ideas on how to stop this?

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

You might try a Google search for nomorobo. It is a service for blocking anonymous calls.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes