verizon does not update their old phone lines that get wet and don't work
rainnotwork
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have lived at the same address for about 10 years and have had verizon the same amount of years.  Every time it rains, whether it is a thunderstorm or just a gentle steady rain, my phone lines go dead.  I have been told by several technicians from Verizon that the phone lines are very old and that they need updating. This usually happens on a weekend and therefore I cannot get a service repair order appt. until at least the next Wed.  I am so sick and tired of this, I will probably be changing phone companies in the next month.  I have never been offered any compensation and usually can't even get a real person to talk to.  When I do get an actual person on the phone, they are usually very rude.  I guess it is my own fault to have put up with this as long as I have.  Just wanted to put this out there for anybody else that might be having the same problems.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon does not update their old phone lines that get wet and don't work
mariav59
Enthusiast - Level 2

HAVE HAD SAME PROBLEM FOR SEVERAL MONTHS THIS TIME IT HAPPENED NOV.24 AND TOLD ME THEY COULD NOT MAKE IT OUT UNTIL DEC.8 HAVE HAD NO PHONE SERVICE. I WAS THINKING THE SAME THING THEY JUST MAILED ME MY BILL THEY DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A PROBLEM THERE .I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN A REFUND FOR ANY DAYS WITHOUT SERVICE AND I IMAGINE I COULD DEAL WITH  A RECORDING TILL I AM BLUE IN THE FACE. THEY WILL NEVER JUST REFUND YOUR MONEY WITHOUT MAKING YOU JUMP THROUGH HOOPS AND STILL THEY NEVER SEND IT YOU HAVE TO KEEP ON THEM WITH EVERY BILL TILL YOU JUST TIRE OF THE AUTOMATED SYSTEM. I WILL ALSO SHOP FOR NEW COMPANY AFTER FIRST OF THE YEAR.DONT EVEN THINK THEY CARE.

0 Likes
BJK8
Enthusiast - Level 3

There are a number of additional things you can do to force Verizon to provide the services that you pay for.

1.  At the bottom of any Verizon online webpage (incl this one), there is a 'contact' link.  Follow that until you find the 'email' feature.

Document everything:  the date your outtage began, the date of any contact you had with Verizon alerting them to the issue.

If and when the situation is finally resolved, you have the right to full credit for the days service was out.  Send an email requesting this credit with the start/end dates of the outtage.

2.  Hundreds of customers in NYC were without phone service for 10-12 days (see 'fifth day of total phone outtage...' post below).

No one anywhere in the US, for any reason, should be stranded without a phone for over 5 days:  by any reasonable measure this represents a failure to provide a contracted service.

You don't indicate where you live, but it seems that older urban areas, especially those that might be in areas that experience flooding in heavy rain, seem to be increasingly susceptable to outtages of the type recently experienced.

3.  File a complaint (~ 5 mins) with the FCC.  The online form is here:

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form2000.action?form_type=2000B

Include the same information mentioned above, along with any communication (or more likely, lack of any communication) from Verizon.

4.  Individual states have a Public Utility Commission that serves as a watchdog over public utilities.  An online complaint can be filed with these offices as well.

Re: verizon does not update their old phone lines that get wet and don't work
huda1

Hi,

Had a similar issue here in Northern New Jersey in a neighborhood where all Utility Services are underground. Took about 15 calls to Verizon and several contacts with the NJ Board of Public Utilities to get NEW underground cable run. Still have some "noise" on the lines, but at least DSL works and we can actually make and receive phone calls. As far as finding an alternate phone service provider, good luck! My experience has found that Everyone wants you to switch to VOIP, and No ONE is offering new service in the area.

Good Luck!

huda

0 Likes
fed1

I am so disgusted with the lack of customer service, I call to ask for credit because I have excessive noise on my land line, will be a week before anyone will even look at the phone and now I have a dead phone. I am sick of the automated system and when you do finally get a person it is the same old story. Whatever happen to service, they sure charge enough but where are they when you need support. It is time to find a new compnay

0 Likes
fed1

yep I am having the same problem here time to change companies this is ridiculous how lacking this company is in support

0 Likes
mariav59
Enthusiast - Level 2

This works

0 Likes
doropallo
Contributor - Level 1

A few years back my mom had the same issue, during and after a heavy rain she would not have any phone service.  When she would call the rep told her her wiring wasn't under any covered plan so there could be fees involved and she would back off.  I called from her house and the rep tried giving me the run around, I replied it doesn't rain IN THE HOUSE and if this was not taken care of I would file with the state.  It was repaired a few days later, her wiring was so old and dry rotted it was a wonder it ever worked.  Amazing you have to get outside authorities involved just to get any service anymore.

0 Likes