SPAM Questions.
prisaz
Legend

#1 Is it worth the trouble to send mail to spamdetector. notcaught@verizon. net (spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net)?

#2 Is it better to forward the single message or many messages at once. I have opened Emails but never pictures or attachments

Samples.

In outlook with POP 3 the mail is picked up and placed in my Junk E-mail folder.

#3 Why does the spam filer not catch these?

I go to the webmail message center and clear the junk on a regular basis. And leave messages on the server until I am home and can download them.

Back to # 2 Which is better? And #1 Is it worth my trouble? It seems like the more I report, the more I get that is not caught on the Verizon server's filter.

Multiple Email reported. Sent all at one time may include headers?

Single Email reports may not include header information?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SPAM Questions.
Lorena_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Prisaz,

I just sent you an email requesting some of the great detail you touched on in this thread.

Let's get to the bottom of it!

Thank you.Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Lorena_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Dear Prisaz,

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Answers:

#1 - Yes, it is worth sending mail to spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net. Or if you are in Verizon Message Center, you simply select the email and select "SPAM" from the top navigation bar. These actions will prompt our very diligent VZ Abuse/SPAM team to evaluate the threat not only for you, but all Verizon email users. Please know that not all messages sent to the cases will be deemed SPAM. So I would advise you to create a filter to move these emails to your Trash folder automatically.

#2 - Please forward all the messages that you deem SPAM. It will enable to VZ Abuse team to address the issue more efficiently for you.

#3 - Our SPAM filters operate differently than Outlook filters and may have different parameters. Please know you can put email addresses and/or domains that deem SPAM or a nuisance in your blocked senders list as well. This will prevent the email from reaching your inbox.

Thank you for your participation!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I always forward what Outlook catches. I only use the message center when away from home. My concern is that depending on how the messages are forwarded by outlook, they may or may not be helpful. Outlook behaves a little differently with the mail headers in the message properties dialog. When I go to the message center say from work, the same stuff is in the Inbox that Outlook downloads with POP3 and flags as junk. Always from a different address, and we can't block the world. So since Outlook catches it and marks it as junk, why can not the Verizon spam filters? That is my main issue. I just delete it on a regular basis and get tired of reporting the same type of mail that slips right past the Verizon filters time and time again, but is caught by Outlook.

Just wondering what would be the best way to help determine why this type of mail keeps slipping through and is not caught by Verizon. In an attempt to help, it just raises a certain level of aggravation.

In one of the pictures I posted here, mail was in my inbox that came through the Verizon filter, and it does not even contain my email address.

I guess I am asking some tough questions and raising some difficult issues.

Lorena_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hi, Prisaz.

You are raising some very great questions!

Given your involvement and interest in this issue, it may be best to work with you directly and get to the bottom of it.

It may not only address your concerns, but help other users as well.

I will contact you directly.

Thank you,

Lorena

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Lorena_VZ wrote:

Hi, Prisaz.

You are raising some very great questions!

Given your involvement and interest in this issue, it may be best to work with you directly and get to the bottom of it.

It may not only address your concerns, but help other users as well.

I will contact you directly.

Thank you,

Lorena

Thank you. I can provide more information and save the message headers in more detail. And perhaps help everyone including Verizon. I know there were some threads in the community a while back regardig this, and it still occurs. Thanks much.

Lorena_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Prisaz,

I just sent you an email requesting some of the great detail you touched on in this thread.

Let's get to the bottom of it!

Thank you.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Lorena

It comes in sporadically but in large amounts on the same days. I will start tracking it in detail and saving it. I know when forwarding mail with Outlook it does not always include the old header information from the original mail. I may need to start letting Outlook leave the mail on the server and go back to Thunderbird client, that can forward the message with the headers intact.

Thank you!

Lorena_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Prisaz and I have been in direct communication, but here is an email I sent that might be of interest of the entire communitySmiley Happy

Dear Mr. Prisaz,

I have received some feedback from our VZ Abuse team, our internal experts. I am hopeful that it will make you feel more comfortable with using Verizon’s email applications. 

Verizon is very serious about successfully delivering legitimate email and blocking SPAM when and wherever possible.

1. Please forward the SPAM emails, including full-headers, in-line (not as an attachment)  to:

spamdetector.notcaught@verizon.net
  2. Rejecting specific traffic from specific hosts based upon PTR record or lack thereof is not optimal on a large scale. Given that we accept and reject billions of connections monthly, we along with many other industry experts,  are in a unique position to see and know this. Research online will provide additional information to the customer should he wish to look into that.

1. It is a violation of RFC standards to rely upon either the PTR record of a client or its HELO/EHLO statement for rejecting the connection. Verizon abides by the standards.

1. Regrettably, the number of mail admins that do not run their mail servers in a proper or efficient way is staggering. If Verizon were to reject on a strict basis, we would have far more customers very angry about why their emails are not being received. Verizon believes it is more important than any other aspect of email delivery to ensure email is received that is desired. Our anti-spam efforts, infrastructure, and every other aspect of the mail system is built on this core value. No one wants spam,  but it's even a bigger deal to not successfully receive mail.

1. Verizon Online's block rate of spam is one of the best in the industry. According to the block-rates made available by MAAWG (http://maawg.org), Verizon Online estimates we are near the top of the industry in the percentage of blocked spam, and we block billions of messages monthly.

Again, thank you for your enthusiastic assistance and your business.