• BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Contributor
catejust
0 Kudos

FiOS blocking SIP/port 5060 in Richmond, VA

Hello!

I do some IT work for two separate businesses: one in Richmond, VA and the other in Chester, VA... very close geographically.

I have a VoIP server located off the Verizon network and my two clients have SIP desktop phones in their offices. I have many customers that use FiOS around the country and don't have an issue. BUT, these two customers near Richmond are unable to use my service.

One customer is using an Actiontec MI424wr with firmware 20.19.8 connected via MOCA to their ONT. The other customer is using a Linksys router running DD-WRT connected via ethernet to the ONT, no Actiontec involved.

The phones are hitting my server via HTTP without issue and are getting replies from my server via HTTP without issue as well.

When the phones try to register via SIP on port 5060, their REGISTER request hits my server just fine but any traffic I send back to them never reaches them. I've confirmed via packet capture that no SIP messages from my server are getting to their public IPs...

I thought it might have something to do with the Actiontec router, but since one customer isn't even using the Actiontec or any other Verizon router, that can't be the issue.

Is anyone else having this issue? Why would Verizon be blocking SIP traffic? Clearly they don't believe in net neutrality... 

More importantly, though, why would be a logical step to get this fixed? The Verizon reps don't seem to have any idea what I'm talking about when I call into Support with my customers on the line...

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148

Re: FiOS blocking SIP/port 5060 in Richmond, VA

#1 These two business(es) are both on the Business type of account?

#2 These two business(es) are both on the Static Business type of account OR is one of the non Static IP Business type of accoun?

#3 Are they forarding ports in their router?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Contributor
catejust
0 Kudos

#1 -- One is a FiOS business account, the other is a FiOS residential account

#2 -- Neither is actually a static account, they are both dynamic IP addresses

#3 Negative, they aren't forwarding any ports in the router.

With regard to number 3, I had tried in the one customer's Actiontec port forwarding both tcp and udp ports 5060 to the IP phone but this didn't help. I had the business-class customer plug the ethernet cable from the ONT directly into a PC and ran a packet capture. I had the customer try to use a SIP softphone on their PC to register with my server. The same thing happened, I received SIP traffic from their public IP address but they did not receive any SIP replies from my server...

I can ping their public IP without any issue, so I no there isn't an inherent routing issue. It literally is just port 5060 that is not making it back to them.....

Gold Contributor VII
dslr595148
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A few last check(s) before I know that Verizon is blocking that port for sure..

As how to do it, is up to you and these customers.

Check the WAN IP in the router OR check the LAN IP of their computer but only if they are connected directly to the ONT (do not check and compare the publc IP if their computer is behind their router).

Begin examples

#1 In the DD-WRT router the WAN IP in the router is in the upper right hand corner.

That IP Address should be the same IP Addres that is at http://ipv4.whatismyv6.com

#2 If connected directly to the ONT and if on Windows XP..

a) Goes to Start -> Run.

b) Types in cmd and presses enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /all and presses enter.

Again: One of the IP Address in there should be the same IP Addres that is at http://ipv4.whatismyv6.com

#3 If usng the FIOS router, I believe the WAN IP is in the first screen in the router afer they log-in (as need be)

Again x2 : One of the IP Address in there should be the same IP Addres that is at http://ipv4.whatismyv6.com

End examples

Next level(s) if the IP Address are not same:

User is not using a VPN ?

User does not have their web browser to use a proxy server ?

---

Without posting what the IP Address(es) are, they have the same IP Address displayed in the router OR if connected to the ONT they have the same IP Address on their computer?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools