Bundle Package Renewal Scam - How do I report this as Consumer Fraud?
yfam1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I need help figuring out who I can contact to report Verizon's corporate strategy in sucking in their current customers who are not on a 2 year agreement and then increasing equipment rental fees as soon as they sign up for an agreement to create an increased total bill.  Here's my problem.  Any advice would greatly be appreciated:  

Here's what happened..

1. We didn't have a contract with Verizon for almost a year (my previous bundle expired).
  2. I received an offer that said if we renewed our bundle for 2 year we would receive a $250 visa gift card.
  3. I tried to do this online, but the website was down for quite some time.  However, I did see the prices and fully understood what the increases and credits would be.
  4. The expiration period for the promotion was ending, so I contacted customer service.
  5. They renewed my agreement with them and during that (or a previous conversation), we discussed my DVR rental.  I chose not to send in my rental because we had an old rate and if I chose to do so, I would have to pay a higher rate if we purchased it again.
  6. This month - MY FIRST MONTH on this new contract, I received a new bill with an increase of my DVR fees.  It went from $12.99 per month to $16.99 per month (for 3 units).  Over the 2 year contract, that's an additional $288!!!  
  7. First, I'm upset because they waited until my probation period was up before telling me the price increase or I would no longer be with Verizon.
  8. Second, the customer service person said I could downgrade my equipment to $9.99/month, but it would not include the DVR features.  He said that the contract I renewed was outside of the scope of my equipment fees.  And, if I wanted a lower bill, that was my option.  That's really not an option because I would increase the quality of my service, but downgrade the equipment?  That makes no sense!

Here''s my problem.. NOW that I'm locked into a 2 year contract, ON THE FIRST BILL, they increase my equipment fees!  The only notice I see where there will be an increase is ON that same bill.  I had no obvious warning or options.  Shouldn't they give a customer options to opt-out of their service contract if they raise equipment fees on existing equipment that we've used the past 4 years for supporting the agreed service?  Legally, because it's the same company and the equipment is sold by them to support my service, it seems like I should have more options.

In addition, I've TRIED to work with them.....NOW, they are offering a $500 gift card to change to the same service plan I did (I'm under the $250 gift card).. However, it's not available to me because I took advantage of the old promotion.  Which, I understand, but when I mentioned to them, they could offer me the $500 gift card and it would almost balance out, they said it does not apply to me.  I'm trying to work with these people, but I think their corporate strategy was to offer these contract signings and incentives to lock customers into a contract and then to up their equipment rental for using the same existing equipment they've been using for years.  That has to be illegal somehow, which is why I'm asking for your help in reporting Verizon.. I am a customer that should not be exhausting this much time asking them to do the right thing.

Thanks!

Kim