Continued billing for DSL while having FIOS
globulb

Maybe someone can give me some advice.  In July  2011 we had FIOS installed - before then we were using Verizon DSL.  Verizon has been charging us $39.99/month for FIOS Internet 15/5 service and charging us for "Internet Access" - first $19.99/month, and then since April of last year, $24.99/month.  We assumed that both charges were part of the package.

Last weekend, I called Verizon Customer Service to confirm what the "Internet Access" charges were and was told that this is the original DSL service that we had before we got FIOS.  I asked that those charges be reversed because we no longer have DSL.  The customer service rep told me that she could only reverse going back three months, that she would enter it, and that it would take three days to register in the system.  I called back on Thursday and spoke with Marcus (an "Account Manager") of the Elite Team.  It seemed that nothing was in the system so he had to enter the information again.  When I asked that the charges be reversed going back to July, 2011, he said that that is not Verizon's policy and that all he would do is go back three months.  When I asked to be connected with someone who had the authority to help me, Marcus said that as an Account Manager he was the highest authority, that there was no one higher in the organization I could speak with. (Marcus doesn't have a boss?)  I insisted that we had been overcharged; he was equally insistant that he wouldn't help me resolve the issue.  I asked for the contact information of someone who could help; the best he could do was direct me to the "Contact Us" link on the bottom of the Verizon home page.

So, now we're out almost $670 (21 months at $19.99/month and 10 months at $24.99) for something that is clearly not our fault.  Verizon has been charging us for a service that they have not been providing.  And, they must have been aware of it because in April of last year they increased the fee from $19.99 to $24.99.  I'm incredibly frustrated.  Usually a company will acknowledge such an obvious error and make it right; Verizon doesn't care.

Has anyone ever gotten through to someone helpful?  Any help will be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Continued billing for DSL while having FIOS
thedan1
I have been stonewalled by Verizon in the past too. My solution was to contact their regulator here, the Public Service Commission. Verizon then promptly resolved my problem. In other matters against other big corporations I have gotten good results by filing suit in small claims court, it's not hard to do and I've always won or been paid before trial. Call your local small claims court and they will help you with the one page filing form. You should get all your money back. You could also send a certified letter to their General Counsel demanding a refund of the erroneous charges. That works sometimes.
0 Likes
Re: Continued billing for DSL while having FIOS
globulb

Thank you for the advice - I think I'll start with the Public Service Commission.  I was hoping that someone from Verizon would respond here; I guess that's asking too much.

0 Likes