External equipment return needed before house demolition? Non-customer
larb27

I have a FIOS box on the outside of my house from 2005-ish when FIOS was first available. Plus the dead back up battery stuff inside that has beeped for the last 3 years. The house is soon to be demolished.

I am not currently a FIOS customer, but was always happy with them and probably will return at some point after the house is rebuilt. Does anyone know if Verizon wants this old stuff back? I am talking about hte plastic box outside the house and the backup battery box inside. Since I am not a customer, it is hard to get any attention from the CSRs. I guess I can detach the equipment from the wall and store it untiil such time as I call for a new line drop and install once the house is rebuilt. If I don't do anything, it will go to landfill.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: External equipment return needed before house demolition? Non-customer
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Just carefully remove the boxes from the house and coil the drop wire back to the pole. Be careful the the wire does not get kinked and make sure you place the protective cover back on the end of the drop wire. When the house is rebuilt just give the old equipment back to the Verizon tech when you reorder service.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Technically, Verizon considers the ONT their property.  Maybe they will answer your query here.

The ONT is most likely an older BPON model based the age of your install.  It may have some value on eBay.  Or maybe not.

Verizon won't want the battery back.  If you want to be environmentally conscious, recycle it.  Small SLA's like the one's used by Verizon can go into the recycle box at Lowes or Home Depot.  In fact, all of the electronics can be recycled.

You might also want to see if the fiber can be carefully pulled back from the old home before demolision.  Otherwise, it is likely to be cut which means a bigger job to re-install FiOS later.  If you do this, be sure to put the dust cap on the end of the fiber after unplugging it from the ONT.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Just carefully remove the boxes from the house and coil the drop wire back to the pole. Be careful the the wire does not get kinked and make sure you place the protective cover back on the end of the drop wire. When the house is rebuilt just give the old equipment back to the Verizon tech when you reorder service.

0 Likes
larb27
Thanks very much. Great info. I called support and was told (after a lengthy call) that the install and repair team would call me back the next day and come to recover the equipment. That was 5 days ago, so I gave up waiting and removed the box myself. The fiber is running under ground so I cannot salvage it myself. Even if I dug it up and coiled it back to the street, there is no pole to set it up on.

Thanks to the great input from the guys above, I have at least salvaged the box. Hope this helps someone else. Summary seems to be that if you can safely cap the fiber and safely coil it back to the street, then that is good. If not, I guess VZ does a reinstall. Not sure since no word from them yet. Will post if I ever hear from them.
0 Likes