FiOS Equipment Return
Schafer1109
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had FiOS service while I lived in Medford, MA from April 2013 until March 2014. I moved to Ohio and could no longer have FiOS service. I returned the equipment to a UPS store to be shipped back to Verizon per a customer service agent's instructions. A few months later, I get a bill for $613 for unreturned equipment. After spending over an hour on the phone with customer service, they tell me "Oh yes you did return the equipment! It was never checked in. We'll get this taken care of". Another month or two passes, I pull my credit report and Verizon reported the debt as in collections! I called customer service and after another 2 hours, they said the credit for $613 was never properly applied and that this will be removed. Still did not happen. I disputed it through all three credit reporting agencies, but every time I do, Verizon confirms that the debt is valid. I filed a BBB complaint three months ago and this is STILL not taken care of! This has cost me a great deal in higher interest rates for a new car loan due to my lower credit score. This has also stopped me from purchasing a house! If Verizon's return system is so unreliable (I'm seeing a lot of similar situations on this forum), why not allow FiOS customers to return equipment to Verizon stores?!

Re: FiOS Equipment Return Fraud
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Schafer1109,

Sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue. Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
jborde8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Schafer1109, that's so terrible! I'm so sorry for you! I realy hope they can get this worked out. In the meantime, I just posted a message with other options for filing a complaint. You can file directly with usa.gov, and directly to the Federal Trade Comission. Best of luck to you!

GARCIAWORLD

ITS BEEN A WHILE SINCE FRAUD WAS A TOPIC OF DISCUSSION.

@jborde8 wrote:

Schafer1109, that's so terrible! I'm so sorry for you! I realy hope they can get this worked out. In the meantime, I just posted a message with other options for filing a complaint. You can file directly with usa.gov, and directly to the Federal Trade Comission. Best of luck to you!

0 Likes
robmack07

I am having a similar issue!  I returend all my cable boxes to a Fios drop off store when I cancelled my service due to a move into a building that could not offer Fios service.  I received a receipt from the Fios clerk that everything was returned in good condition and was not alerted to any possible issues.  I returned ALL boxes i was ever in possession of but a few weeks later Verizon started emailing me saying I still ower them One box which equates to $374!  I NEVER had this mystery box and returend ALL equipment I ever got from Verizon.

Please have someone reach out to me so we can settle this.  My credit score has been compromised by this mistake and i have a receipt from the FIOS drop off center proving I returend all equipment.

Thank you,

Rob

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
mj2046

I just had the similar horrible experience. I cancelled my service in July 2014 and returned the equipment in August. Then Feb this year, from no where, I noticed a $1470 charge by verizon on my credit bill. I called verizon and stayed on phone for an hour and was transferred three times. None of the 4 representatives I spoke to had any idea why I was charged. They promised to investigate and call me back the following Monday, and of course they never did. I had no choice but cancelled the credit charge as it was obviously a mistake. Then today I checked my credit report and noticed that they reported I owe them $735 (note the different amount)!! I still have no idea why I was charged but based on the amount my guess is that they messed up my returned equipments. This is ridiculous - not only because they messed up the return thing (which seems happened to many people), but also because there is no communication (they have my email and cell phone numbers) for 8 months and they just randomly charging my credit card and report to credit bureau!

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Have you contacted Verizon and asked for an explanation?

0 Likes
mj2046

I spent more than 2 hours on the phone with verizon yesterday, and finally this time I'm lucky to speak to a couple of representatives who are nice and willing to look into this and figure out what's going on. It was a series of billing errors made by Verizon - initially they did not get my equipment so they posted a charge, when they realized they have my equipment they posted a credit on my account, then they removed the charge since they got the equipment, then the account left with a credit so they send me a check that I never received, then they realized the credit should never be there so they put on a charge on my account again, then they realized the check was never cashed, check this part out, instead of credit the account again they charge me again, so my account had a charge that was twice of the equipment cost, at this point I noticed my credit card charge and called back and void the charge on my credit card, then someone tried to clear it up but there are (for some reason account number changed) two accounts in verizon one has a credit and a check that's sent to who knows where, the other account shows a debit, then someone in collection department decide to report to credit beurous that I owe Verizon money. What a mess and reckless handling of billing! So because Verizon's incompetence, I wasted more than 5 hours on the phone, 2 hours looking up equipment return receipt, stress, bad credit score since March that affected my credit card application and car loan application! Now I have to wait another month to get my name cleared at the credit beurous and my fingers are crossed.  

0 Likes
Redbmb314

I am in the same exact situation right now.  I cancelled my service and requested the box to return the equipment.  The box came about a week later I boxed up all my equipment the next day and the USPS picked up the package right from my house.  I contacted Verizon several weeks later and confirmed all the equipment had been received. 

To my surprise I am about to close on my dream home and my credit is pulled prior to closing and there is a collection charge from Verizon for $1,219 on my credit report.  I have never received a bill or a phone call in regards to this charge.  I contact the number on my credit report to discuss the charges and I am advised that it is for equipment never returned.   I am told I have to pay the settlement or there is nothing that can be done at this point and now this is holding up my closing because it dropped my score 45 points.  I feel like I am being extorted for money.   How can it be right to get my credit report corrected for my mortgage company I now have to pay for equipment that was returned!

0 Likes