Premium Installation - beware of hidden cost
Corvid1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My 1st FiOS bill for the Triple Play services I signed up for included a shocking $54.99 charge that was never disclosed to me during sign up or during the installation process.  This $55 charge was added to coer the "outlet installation" that was necessary for connecting a 2nd TV in my house to FiOS network.  I was previously a Comcast customer, and they had installed - for free - the coax wiring to and one outlet for a TV and another outlet for my computer (in different rooms of my house).   I mistakenly thought that "premium installation" promised in Verizon's Triple Play advertisement for FiOS would certainly cover the wiring to and outlet for a 2nd TV - especially given that I agreed to pay $6/month extra for an this 2nd TV's Set Top Box plus $4/month additional for a Home Media DVR. 

It's impossible to find a good description of what is covered under "Premium Installation", and their website doesn't mention that hooking up your TVs to FiOS is only covered if your house has pre-existing coax wiring and outlets to the places where you now want to watch TV. 

Somewhat misleadingly, Verizon's website indicates that for FiOS internet connection, it's Premium Installation would include the installation of an outlet to hook up your computer.  This Verizon webpage says so:  http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSInternet/General+Support/Getting+Started/QuestionsOne/9... (i.e.,

"The Verizon Technician will run data wiring from the ONT to your router and, if necessary, install an Ethernet jack.").  Likewise, the same info is provided on another Verizon webpage -  http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSInternet/FAQ/FAQ.htm - which states:

"The technician will also install any required wall jacks. Depending on your home's layout, the technician will install data wiring through the basement or attic, or along baseboards."  I fail to see why a 2nd TV should incur an additional charge given that Verizon didn't have to do anything extra to connect by computer to FiOS internet.

Scanning the info on Verizon's website, I certainly was lead to believe that my installation would incur no additional costs.  Furthermore, the installation technician never informed me that the additional outlet needed for my 2nd TV - which involved drilling a small hole through my 1-inch thick  wood floor - would incur an extra charge.  I've succeeded in getting a partial rebate for the $55 charge, but feel a bit abused since I was never informed about the charge before or during the installation process. 

Re: Premium Installation - beware of hidden cost
Doug_VZ1
Contributor - Level 2

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. It looks like your issue may require a Verizon representative to review your account details. Please contact our customer service team via live chat or email at:

http://www.verizon.com/contactus

0 Likes
NOVA118
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do believe this post does help other users.  Especially those who a thinking of signing up for FIOS TV service.  I agree that the website is misleading and it doesn't help to call customer service either.  I called to be sure and was told it included running a new wire, if needed.  When the installer showed up, I double checked with him and he told be $55 extra per line.  What a SCAM!!!  I told the installer he could leave and come back another day, so I could go buy wire and run the line myself.  He offered me to use wire he had in his truck, but I still had to run the line myself.  The installers are generally hard working, good people.  The people hiding behind a phone or computer, don't care and will tell you what ever.  BEWARE!

pee

Maybe we would call customer service if we didn't have to punch 9000 numbers, get put on hold for 30 minutes, get transfered to 8000 people, end up with someone who barely speaks English, and then they hang up on you so you have to start all over again.......Also, I've sent e-mails about 5 months ago on my install and I'm still waiting for a reply. 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

The website clearly told you that. The person that you called, did not know that OR they provided false/misleading info.

Only if the person that you called, did not know: The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

0 Likes
WhyMeLord

I've become very leery of VZN and hidden charges.  I've also given up on getting meaningful service.  Basically VZN is a classic case of gotch capitalism.

BTW my cell phone service is now with(edited)  Much cheaper and I can speak with a native English speaker when I need help (which is rare)

0 Likes
DeceivedCA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was charged $219.96 ($54.99 x 4) for "outlet installation" even though I have an order confirmation letter from Verizon, stating that I will receive a non-recurring charge waiver for “additional TV outlets”.  Prior to and during installation, it was never disclosed to me by Verizon customer service nor the installer that I was going to receive additional charges for the outlet installation.  I have verified this by phone with Verizon customer service twice, prior to installation that the entire installation was part of my order promotion.  I've contacted Verizon numerous times regarding this and my request for credit (which was promised to me in writing) have been denied.

My house was pre-wired for cable service for two of the four Verizon set-top boxes I ordered.  I can not understand how Verizon can charge me $54.99 to plug in the set-top boxes to the wall.  If I had known there was a charge for this, I would have asked the installer to leave the boxes and I will install it myself.  I am capable of plugging the boxes to the power and cable outlets on the wall!

KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

@DeceivedCA wrote:

I was charged $219.96 ($54.99 x 4) for "outlet installation" even though I have an order confirmation letter from Verizon, stating that I will receive a non-recurring charge waiver for “additional TV outlets”.  Prior to and during installation, it was never disclosed to me by Verizon customer service nor the installer that I was going to receive additional charges for the outlet installation.  I have verified this by phone with Verizon customer service twice, prior to installation that the entire installation was part of my order promotion.  I've contacted Verizon numerous times regarding this and my request for credit (which was promised to me in writing) have been denied.

My house was pre-wired for cable service for two of the four Verizon set-top boxes I ordered.  I can not understand how Verizon can charge me $54.99 to plug in the set-top boxes to the wall.  If I had known there was a charge for this, I would have asked the installer to leave the boxes and I will install it myself.  I am capable of plugging the boxes to the power and cable outlets on the wall!

ljw509

I wish I would have read this before I signed up. I have $150 in charges that came out of NOWHERE - same as above two outlets in a PREWIRED apartment and an internet set up fee. (PS - I only have 1 tv, so no idea what the other outlet us for) They woo'd me away from Time Warner only to take advantage of me with hidden costs. Customer Service couldn't give me any promise of a follow-up, a reference number, nothing. This is one of the top worst experiences I have had with a service provider - and I have been a Verizon Wireless customer for as long as I can remember.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello ljw509

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

0 Likes