Threat of False charges for "unreturned" equipment
Wisdom_Man
Enthusiast - Level 2

I got a message on my FIOS connected TV, that I should get a newer, better router. I Had some questions, and talked on the phone, and eventually the guy said we will send you a new router at no charge. The router was sent with a Packing Slip, with the following details:

{edited for privacy}

I installed the new router and  it worked OK.

At the bottom of the packing slip is a letter to Dear Verizon Customer from Verizon Services Team.

In the message are the words:  " ... Verizon no longer requires return of the model you were using, so you are not obligated to return your old equipment and tou will not be billed for failing to return the equipment."

So, of course this month, I started getting emails for a no-reply Verizon sender telling me that they were going to start billing my account for the equipment that I did not return.

I returned the equiment next day. As Verizon FIOS does not have any local offices, I sent it via UPS per the instructions on the Verizon website; and later I got another email, telling me that they were going to start billing my account for the unreturned equipment.

After a more persistant effort, I finally contacted someone at Verizon, who said they would send a message to Verizon to stop threatening to bill my account.

It is always very difficult to contact verizon. I cannot figure out why my bill is so much higher than the prices they always quote. Their explanation is that they do not include taxes, and of course you have add the rental of the Verizon equipment, etc, (and can't use your own).

I think that they are required by law to quote an average price for the locality with an estimate of all the charges that they know in advance they are going to add to most accounts.

But, as with the packing slip note that I did not have to return the old router, and then planning to bill me for, they do not seem to rest until they can find additional charges to bill the customer.

Verizon has created a new monopoly by buying up the Baby Bells that were created by breaking up the old AT&T, and circumvented the Congressional legislation to break up the disasterous AT&T monopoly.

Tags (2)
Re: Threat of False charges for "unreturned" equipment
TurtleTurtle1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'd just like to warn you that likely any conversation you had on the phone with someone will result in no action on Verizon's part.  Some months later you may or may not receive a bill, then ultimately it will go to collections.

I've not gone to collections yet, and supposedly they are "helping" through online chat and the forums though I have yet to see any results.

Simply put, get it in writing.

Wisdom_Man
Enthusiast - Level 2

In addition to the above, I now received an anonymous email from Verizon to tell me the the previous anonymous email from verizon was WRONG. So different Verizon communications from different Verizon employees have told me, in succession:

1. You do not have to return the old router.

2. Your account was billed because you did not return the old router.

(I did return the old router when I received this message.)

3. The message saying that you do not not have to return the old router was wrong.

4. Although you did return the old router, it takes 3 MONTHS for Verizon to CORRECT YOUR ACCOUNT!!

5. You do not have to HAVE TO PAY THE CHARGES for not return the old router.

6. You do not have to return the old router.

HOW CAN I BELIEVE ANYTHING A VERIZON EMPLOYEE SAYS, AFTER ALL THIS?

HOW CAN I TRUST ANY DEAL A VERIZON EMPLOYEE OFFERS, IF SOME OTHER VERIZON EMPLOYEE CAN CHANGE THE TERMS OF THE DEAL?

HOW CAN I TRUST VERIZON?

PERHAPS THE CEO CAN EXPLAIN, BECAUSE I CANNOT TRUST ANY LOWER RANK EMPLOYEE TO AGREE TO SOMETHING, WHEN SOME OTHER EMPLOYEE (USUALLY ANONYMOUS) CAN AND DOES CHANGE THE DEAL.

VERIZON APPARANTLY NEEDS AN IN-HOUSE FEDERAL REGULATOR TO PROTECT VERIZON CUSTOMERS.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.

Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".

Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes