Verizon placed an account closed 14 years ago in collections & reported it to all 3 credit reports
gregjtx

I got a call this week from a Collection Agency in regard to a $112.70 balance on an account that was closed 14 years ago. I pulled 2 of my credit reports and there it is, reported last month as in Collections. I had pulled the 3rd report in December and this account wasn't listed, and hasn't been listed since it was closed in July 2000. I've called them back after going back through my records to find the actual dates, but after being transferred three times, I was finally told someone would call me back shortly. That was 24 hours ago, and no call yet.

I called Verizon in Wallingford, CT (from info listed on credit report) and all they could tell me is that the account WAS placed for collection after it was CLOSED in February 2014 for non payment. The person couldn't provide me any details of unpaid balances or why it had taken 14 years for the account to be closed. Advised I submit a dispute via FAX or mail to the Missouri location.

Complicating the matter is the fact that we sold the residence where the service WAS in November 2005. I had never received any billing, late notice, or ANY communication from Verizon in regard to this account for 5 and a half years.

ALLEGEDLY, bills had been sent to that address, but apparently not until AFTER the address forwarding order expired. Since the account was closed five years prior to moving, I'm sure I made no attempt to update my account information.

Anyway, I have an UGLY entry on a credit report I've been working to get/keep pristine since a bankruptcy in 1998 and need this addressed IMMEDIATELY.

Also of note, I opened my CURRENT Verizon account in January 2006 at our new residence address, and there was NO mention of any issue with a previous account.

Please escalate this case and contact me if any additional information is required.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Verizon placed an account closed 14 years ago in collections & reported it to all 3 credit r
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board. you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information.

To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes