Verizon scam
Lyndon1

Today I received a very "official" looking email from Verizon. I'm usually very savvy about detecting and suspicious in general about scams. But I have to say that this was the most realistic looking email scam I have ever received. Even I was fooled for a minute. I didn't fall for it because Verizon has never contacted me by email. The first email wanted me to click on a link to verify services I had received. A few minutes later, another email, even more realistic looking. saying "Thank you! Your FiOS order has been received." It was even addressed to my mom who's name is on our account. My mom uses my email address because she doesn't want to deal with computers or email. So, I was kind of bothered by this because we hadn't ordered anything from Verizon recently and most email scams don't address the person in their real name. Comments anyone?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon scam
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Lyndon wrote:

Today I received a very "official" looking email from Verizon. I'm usually very savvy about detecting and suspicious in general about scams. But I have to say that this was the most realistic looking email scam I have ever received. Even I was fooled for a minute. I didn't fall for it because Verizon has never contacted me by email. The first email wanted me to click on a link to verify services I had received. A few minutes later, another email, even more realistic looking. saying "Thank you! Your FiOS order has been received." It was even addressed to my mom who's name is on our account. My mom uses my email address because she doesn't want to deal with computers or email. So, I was kind of bothered by this because we hadn't ordered anything from Verizon recently and most email scams don't address the person in their real name. Comments anyone?

While I applaud you for not clicking on links in suspicious emails, it never hurts to contact Verizon through an official channel (like by phone) to verify that no changes have actually been made to your acount.

In my opinion, better safe than sorry.

View solution in original post

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Lyndon wrote:

While I applaud you for not clicking on links in suspicious emails, it never hurts to contact Verizon through an official channel (like by phone) to verify that no changes have actually been made to your acount.

In my opinion, better safe than sorry.

SEADOGDAN

Today I got an official looking request about accounting restructering

http://www22.verizon.com/pnp/images/main/logo.jpg

Verizon is upgrading your email and billing information.

Click here to upgrade your Verizon billing information

Thank you for allowing us to serve you.

Sincerely,
Verizon

It took  me to an very official looking site but asked questions that got a little to personal.  But I was on guard upfront since they sent it to a email address not associated with my Verizon account.  A chat with Verizon support said this was a new one just making the round

Dan

0 Likes
Lyndon1

Dear somegirl and SEADOGDAN: the "scam" was a false alarm. My mother did sign up for a new kind of service without telling me. Sorry for the confusion.

0 Likes
gjr918
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received an e-mail yesterday titled Verizon Services threat urgent (something like that).  Supposedly I had to reply to them to provide my e-mail address and password date of birth, etc. to keep my e--mail account.  Otherwise in three days it would be eliminated permanently.  Is this a scam?

Lyndon1

YES! Just delete it!

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@gjr918 wrote:

I received an e-mail yesterday titled Verizon Services threat urgent (something like that).  Supposedly I had to reply to them to provide my e-mail address and password date of birth, etc. to keep my e--mail account.  Otherwise in three days it would be eliminated permanently.  Is this a scam?

Verizon (any reputable company, really) will never ask you for your password. They already have it. Anything you get asking for that info is a scam.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
This sounds like the email I have been getting lately and I don't even have Verizon landline services!

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
o2bwaiting

How do you get through to an official channel? I been through menu after menu online and on the phone and nothing seems to relate to anything about email scams or about account changes I did not make. I have been on waiting on the phone for a half hour listening to a recording saying I will hear music until they answer but they break into the music every 10 seconds to thank me for waiting. Don't think I can take any more. Is there any way to get through and check this?

0 Likes