• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Contributor
coraktp
0 Kudos

Verizon's Labor Policies

Verizon doesn't seem to have a email address for customers to address issues that aren't related to service (I guess they don't care what their customers think about their political or business practices) Anyway I am placing this here in the hopes that it will be bumped up the line to the company's PR department at least, the CEO's office would be nice, but I don't think Verizon's CEO cares about what Verizon's customers think about their business practices.  I have been a loyal Verizon Wireless customer for 6 straight years - on and off with Verizon for at least a decade so I think my opinions should matter.  I don't like Verizon's conservative politics but I cede your right to have them.  I personally think corporations should be banned from any and all involvement in politics at both local and national levels, but since the Supreme Court doesn't agree with me, you are free to do as you chose.  However, your labor policies are another matter.  I am outraged off that you are trying to reduce your labor costs at a time when you are making billions in profits.  Resisting pay increases and additional employee benefits is one thing, trying to make people give up benefits and pay just because you think you can get away with it is despicable.  Make your CEO give up his golden parachute and his performance bonuses, make him take a 50% pay cut and then I'll be willing to hear about you wanting to make your employees shoulder more of the cost of their health benefits.  I have resisted moving my service to CREDO in the past, but if you don't back down off this shameful exploitation of your employees I will not be renewing my Verizon service when my contract expires.  Count on me to be on the internet bad-mouthing your company in a big way if you continue to be a 'bad corporate citizen' putting excessive profit-taking  ahead of the health of our nation's middle class.   

Contributor
proudliberal
0 Kudos

Re: Verizon's Labor Policies

I couldn't agree more!  First, Verizon needs to have contact information for people concerned with their business practices.  Second, I cannot believe that a company making BILLIONS in profit would demand even more profit at the expense of people making next to nothing.  I am shocked and horrified by Verizon's actions.  I will be watching this closely and I ask that Verizon negotiate in good faith. How much profit is enough?  How much do the hard-working folks at Verizon have to lose?  Enough is enough! Profits should not be made at the expense of workers.  I have been a Verizon customer for over 8 years, but I will quickly change services if I do not see an end to this soon-- with positive results for the hard-working folks across ths country.

Contributor
margjones
0 Kudos

I am outraged by your union breaking.  I'd like to see the figures on the difference between the salaries of the few at the top and the rest of the workers.  The newspapers say you are having record profits, so I'd like an explanation.  People died creating unions.  I don't want this country to go backwards to the time when workers had no rights and worked for a pittance while the owners made tons of money.  Shame on you. 

MVP
somegirl

Verizon Wireless and Verizon Online are NOT the same company. They are sister companies, and they've done some work to make them streamlined for customers who have both, but they're not the same.

Just because wireless is doing well does not mean Online is, and that's where the strike business is going on. Verizon has already sold off more than 15 states worth of wireline services and has stopped FiOS expansion indefinitely because they are hemorrhaging money. It is only through those sales and some very creative number crunching that they can report a profit at all.

While I agree that they should cut upper-management's rediculous paychecks instead of firing even more people or reducing employee benefits, they're not making insane profit. There is a reason they're trying to cut back. A company with unhappy employees can fire them and hire new ones. A company with unhappy shareholders and no profits goes under, and EVERYONE loses their job.

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."
Contributor
Verity
0 Kudos

Well said I couldn't agree more. I really hope that the middle class work force starts to stand up agents these type of big business union busting and anti-labor practices. I also hope they remember it when they vote for there politicians. I personally vote for the people that back the hard working middle class and put my personal and religious beliefs aside.

Contributor
Clifford

I completely support the Verizon workers now on strike. 

Verizon is a hugely profitable company. its upper level executives have been paid fortunes.

That money came from the hard work of Verizon's employees.

Verizon is attempting to dramatically lower the standard of living of its unionized employees.

The workers on strike are fighting for simple fairness and deserve the support of all ordinary

people who work for a living.

Copper Contributor
specials

somegirl wrote:

Verizon Wireless and Verizon Online are NOT the same company. They are sister companies, and they've done some work to make them streamlined for customers who have both, but they're not the same.

With all due respect, it is one company until we're able to buy stock of Verizon Wireless separately from Verizon Communications Inc's stock...

Just because wireless is doing well does not mean Online is, and that's where the strike business is going on. Verizon has already sold off more than 15 states worth of wireline services and has stopped FiOS expansion indefinitely because they are hemorrhaging money. It is only through those sales and some very creative number crunching that they can report a profit at all.

Frontier is actually doing quite well in the territories they bought from Verizon, because there *is* money to be made in everything but residential POTS...just check their stock.

While it's certainly true that one can get a TV/Internet/phone service from a cable company, there's a lot more travelling on the "conventional" landline route...

Cell towers that are being fed by data circuits, whether they're on conventional fiber, copper, or a combination of the two.

Every time you pull money out of an ATM, you're utilizing a DS0 circuit.

A variety of point-to-point analog and digital circuits utilized by police, fire department, banks, hospitals, all areas of government that a cable company simply can't provide due to their infrastructure...and there's more

While I agree that they should cut upper-management's rediculous paychecks instead of firing even more people or reducing employee benefits, they're not making insane profit. There is a reason they're trying to cut back. A company with unhappy employees can fire them and hire new ones. A company with unhappy shareholders and no profits goes under, and EVERYONE loses their job.

The way I see it, you might see 45K shareholders dumping *all* of their stock within days...and I doubt that's the result that Verizon wanted to accomplish...

Make no mistake, a vast majority of striking unionized force has invested *significant* amounts of money into VZ stock and has direct interest in company's well-being...

My $0.02 only...thanks for reading.

MVP
somegirl
0 Kudos

specials wrote:

Frontier is actually doing quite well in the territories they bought from Verizon, because there *is* money to be made in everything but residential POTS...just check their stock.

Actually, if you look at their stock prices pre-sale and now, they've dropped. They rose considerably immediately after the sale, then dropped off as it became clear what a mess they'd gotten from VZ.

--
If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.

"All knowledge is worth having."
Copper Contributor
specials
0 Kudos

somegirl wrote:

Actually, if you look at their stock prices pre-sale and now, they've dropped. They rose considerably immediately after the sale, then dropped off as it became clear what a mess they'd gotten from VZ.

If you really want to split hairs, Frontier's stock took the biggest hit almost two years *before* they bought the former Verizon territories, so unlike Verizon's own, it can't be considered really stable. They are still a fairly small fish in the sea.

That being said, after they've acquired the aforementioned territories their stock has gone both up and down, but the vast majority of analysts have a "buy" rating on it, showing belief that the Frontier has a very good chance of making a profit in the lands that Verizon was so happy to abandon...

My $0.02 only...

Thanks for reading.

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements