Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

An Update on the Verizon Foundation's Philanthropy

by Employee ‎02-27-2012 11:51 AM - edited ‎02-27-2012 02:05 PM

icpd_237x97.jpgAs today marks International Corporate Philanthropy Day, I thought an update on Verizon's philanthropic work was in order. Our focus at the Verizon Foundation is on using our technology to solve critical social issues in the areas of education, health care and energy management. Since 2000, the Foundation has invested more than half a billion dollars in our communities, and our employees have donated more than 6.2 million volunteer hours to improve the communities where we work and live. In 2011 alone, the Foundation awarded $66 million in grants to nonprofits across the country and our employees volunteered more than 670,000 hours.

We also award employees who volunteer 50 hours a year with a qualifying nonprofit a $750 grant for that organization.

Below is a breakdown of where our grants went last year.

Verizon Foundation 2011 Philanthropic Investments
(in millions of dollars)
Education & Literacy $26
Volunteerism (Including Matching Gifts) $17
Civic & Community Support $9
Domestic Violence Prevention $10
Healthcare & Accessibility $3
Internet Safety $1
Total Philanthropic Investment $66 million

In the coming year, the Foundation will increasingly serve as a laboratory for social innovation -- supporting new approaches to community problems, breaking down barriers of cost and accessibility and helping to bring these solutions to underserved populations.

Our signature causes and strategic focus in 2012 will be the following:

Education: We help integrate technology solutions by creating digital classrooms focused on STEM content, smart devices and technology training.

Health Care: Introduce mobile and telehealth solutions into communities through our mHealth Platform and Remote Disease Management program while strategically addressing domestic violence related issues.

Sustainability: We help deliver smart energy management and sustainability practices to underserved communities.

This is an exciting time for us at Verizon. Look around and you will see how deeply communications technology is transforming society. We see expanding opportunities ahead for us to use our networks and our technology to make a difference in the world. And it's a fresh opportunity for us to deepen the connection between Verizon and our communities.

Comments
by Yaki on ‎08-29-2012 12:29 AM

This post is in regard to Verizon's community support for the City of Hemet, California. I belong to a grassroots group, Rebuilding Hemet. We are residents of Hemet and have recently come together to take back our city from crime, blight and problems exacerbated by the recession. Many of your utility boxes throughout our city are being tagged by gangs. We have been removing the graffiti with elbow grease and various cleaners. This is a big job and we are paying for the cleaners ourselves. Is it possible for Verizon to assist us with paint or cleaning supply? Is removing graffit from your utility boxes a service you already provide? If so, how may I contact the proper department.

If I am posting on the incorrect blog, I would appreciate your assistance in heading me in the right direction. Thank you.

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools