Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Building a Great Career

by Employee Emeritus on ‎06-20-2011 04:05 PM

Last week I wrote about a few of our Verizon Volunteers and the good work they do in the community.

Today, I want to look at some of the opportunities our employees have to grow inside the company.  We want the workplace to offer challenging work and provide opportunities to build a great career.  Employees can take advantage of progressive health and benefit programs and an environment that respects and cultivates diversity.

For career development we have programs that reach all levels of employees, ranging from tailored education programs to self-paced online training programs and informal meetings.

Here are a few facts and figures:

• Last year nearly 32,000 employees participated in the Tuition Assistance Program, which pays up to $8,000 per year for studies in an employee’s job-related fields.
  • Verizon’s training investment totaled $297 million in 2010, and employees completed nearly 9.8 million hours of training – about 47 hours per employee.
  • Our training resources include more than 14,000 individual course titles available via online, classroom and other formats.

We also have employee resource groups – 10 in all – that collectively are a great example of our commitment to professional growth. Employees organize and manage the groups, which provide networking, mentoring, special initiatives, seminars and conferences for members.

To learn more or for a full list of the employee resource groups see pages 28-29 of our 2010/2011 Corporate Responsibility report.

ERG Meeting

Employees attending Verizon’s Employee Resource Group conference in 2010 included (sitting, l–r) Chiara DeLeonibus, Patrick Lespinasse, Jacqueline Crews, Anthony Lewis and Deb Ott; (standing, l–r) David Richards, Robert Zeas, Rene Herrera, Cesar Brea, Trinidad Aguirre and Phyllis Obie.

Comments
by psh1 on ‎08-12-2011 11:08 AM

The give back to your employees sounds great ...So why is CWA union so unhappy and why can't you guys go back to the talking table and work something out with them.....what is the said 4 billion dollars revenue sent to Great Britain about.

how can the top management be making $55,000.00 per  day,  (which is what was alleged on CNN by the head of CWA union)

and not be somewhat considerate to their request.  Is it possible that every single request of the union is over optimistic....

as a Verizon customer,  I am not at all  involved in this debate,  but it is leaking into the community and it's making Verizon not look  good and on some level I feel responsible to the workers of America for the people I choose to do business with.

by Employee Emeritus on ‎08-12-2011 11:26 AM

Thank you for your comments and feedback to our site. Since you have shown an interest in the current labor negotiations, I thought you should know that you can find up-to-date information about the issues on the web at www.verizonbargainingfacts.com

Also, I wanted you to know that discussions continue between Verizon and the CWA and IBEW.  We’re meeting with the unions and are willing to negotiate the issues on the table.

- Susan

by AndreaZimmerman on ‎12-03-2011 04:34 PM

Susan, I am writing my semester paper in the Harvard Sustainability Master's Program and your post, along with your response to psh1 have been very useful.  Stakeholder engagement presents many risks, including comments that might be untendable to the company.  I commend you and Verizon for such open communication and providing a platform for stakeholders to express concerns, rather than just a one-way broadcast that"we're great!"

The link that you provided was hopefully useful to psh1....it definitely was for me!

Thanks.

-Andrea

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411