Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Helping Men Talk About Domestic Violence Prevention at the Healthy Masculinity Summit

by Employee ‎10-31-2012 06:44 AM - edited ‎10-31-2012 06:49 AM

Yakal-Kremski.jpgHMAP-logo-250px.jpgToday's guest blogger is Samantha Yakal-Kremski. She manages the domestic violence prevention philanthropy program at the Verizon Foundation.

I recently took part in the Healthy Masculinity Summit in Washington D.C. For the first time, hundreds of experts and advocates -- from every sector -- came together to connect the dots between stereotypes deeply rooted in our culture about what it means to be a “real man” and the epidemic of violence that exists in our country and the world.

The Summit kicked off the Healthy Masculinity Action Project, a major two-year, grassroots initiative run by Men Can Stop Rape. This project aims to educate men and boys about non-violent masculinity and teach them how to take the message to neighborhoods across the country.

As the co-host and sponsor of the Health Masculinity Summit, the Verizon Foundation joined forces with Men Can Stop Rape to get this project off the ground and spark a national dialogue. We honored remarkable men and women who are role models of healthy masculinity, committed to violence prevention, and determined to make the world a better place.

One example was 15-year old Jakob Little. While in middle school, Jakob initiated a “Free Style Friday” hip hop program during lunch to create an outlet for students and educate administrators that hip hop could be a positive, healthy form of expression. 

At the Summit, we also announced our newest initiative, Your Voice Counts, which helps young men like Jakob start conversations about domestic violence prevention.

As a Summit faculty member, I also led two of the conversation sessions. This dialogue with participants gave me the opportunity to bring together two areas of my life and work in which I’m highly passionate: corporate social responsibility and domestic violence prevention. Hearing from the participants who gathered for the launch Summit was an inspiring experience that reinforced a great sense of solidarity in our collective mission to affect positive change and, ultimately, end domestic violence.

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

Top Kudoed Posts

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools