Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

It's "Lights Out" for Nearly 600 Verizon Buildings to Promote Earth Hour

by Employee ‎03-28-2012 02:42 PM - edited ‎03-28-2012 02:48 PM

earthhour2012.jpgAs a company committed to energy conservation, we know that every watt conserved is an important step in the right direction. In that spirit, I'm happy to tell you that our participation in Earth Hour will be our largest to date, spanning 17 countries and more than 2,100 employees who have volunteered to participate at home.

Earth Hour is a global event designed to raise awareness of energy conservation and garner support for action on climate change. Starting in 2007, the World Wildlife Fund has issued a call to turn off non-essential lights and appliances for an hour on the last Saturday of every March — this year at 8:30 pm on March 31. We see our participation as a far-reaching symbol of our commitment to energy conservation and a reminder of how even small actions can have meaningful results: during last year's Earth Hour, we saved an estimated 45,000 kilowatt hours, enough to power four houses for almost a year.

This year we will darken floors in almost 600 office buildings and facilities, and extinguish lights and signs outside major offices from Manhattan to Texas to California to Germany and the United Kingdom.

Our commitment to sustainable business practices goes on every day, of course. As outlined in our Annual Report, we've committed to significant environmental goals: by 2015, 15 percent of our vehicle fleet will run on alternative fuels, and by 2020 we'll reduce our carbon intensity — our energy use measured against the amount of data running over our networks — to half what it was in 2009. Last year alone we reduced our energy use by 240 million kilowatt hours — the equivalent of powering more than 20,600 homes for a year.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. From designing energy-efficient set-top boxes to reducing the cardboard in product packaging down to reducing the weight of equipment carried on our repair trucks, we're tackling energy and environmental issues on every front. And we're applying our networks and technology to help utility companies manage energy use as well. In this way, we can help communities avoid brown-outs through smart energy management.

But I've shined enough light on the topic for today. Let's all get ready to go dark Saturday night. 

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411