Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Password & Voicemail Safety – Responsible Steps to Safer Messages

by Employee Emeritus ‎08-15-2011 10:00 AM - edited ‎08-15-2011 10:09 AM

Jack McArtney

Our guest blogger today is Jack McArtney.  Jack manages issues surrounding online safety for Verizon.  He also has played a key role in the introduction of Verizon Safeguards and numerous parental control products and services for Verizon customers.

Today’s message focuses on taking responsible steps to keep your voicemail information safe.

CTIA – the Wireless Association – posted a blog entry to discuss the voicemail hacking that has been in the news this summer. In that post, CTIA very nicely explains an issue called “pretexting”, which is illegal in the U.S., and gives very good tips on how to avoid becoming a victim.

I wanted to build on that and provide more safeguard recommendations for voicemail passwords.

If you’re anything like me, you suffer from password overload. There are so many online subscriptions and social media accounts. You need a password for e-mail, a password for online banking and more for newspaper and magazine accounts. It’s become virtually impossible to remember them all.

But the down-side of not taking the time to secure all your accounts separately is – well – risky.

Here’s the good news.  When you’re logging into your voicemail, there are steps you can take to proactively keep your information safer. Since passwords are the first line of defense, applying the following recommendations will help secure your electronic communications. 

Voicemail Password Dos and Don’ts

• Do change your password every 60 days.
  • Do use at least 6 digits for your password.
  • Don't use repeating digits like 1111, 7777
  • Don't use any portion of your telephone number
  • Don’t use special symbols like * or #. You can only use numeric digits.
  • Don’t share your password with anyone.  Verizon never requests passwords in email or via telephone.
  • Don’t use the same password for multiple services.

It’s good to make a strong, secure password. At Verizon we have a long history of helping safeguard your services. In fact Verizon was the first carrier to require a password to access voicemail.  Verizon Wireless also requires users to generate their own voicemail password; no “default” password will do.

If you’d like a little more information on voicemail safety, visit Verizon Wireless’ website and see the online FAQ on voicemail.

Comments
by Aaron_Wang on ‎08-17-2011 09:35 PM

Nice information! My email and FB account have been stolen and hack at least 2 times this year because I never change my password.

by Employee Emeritus on ‎08-18-2011 08:20 AM

Aaron,

Glad you saw it. I change mine regularly, due mainly to the fact that I set a calendar reminder to make sure I remember every few months.  Whatever it takes! It's worth it not to get hacked.

Best,

Susan

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools