Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Pressing Problems Deserve Powerful Answers: Verizon’s 2013 Corporate Responsibility Supplement

by Employee ‎03-18-2014 04:51 PM - edited ‎03-18-2014 04:53 PM

By Rose Stuckey Kirk,

Vice President of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Today, Verizon released its 2013 Corporate Responsibility Supplement, and I invite you to take a look because this past year has been one of tremendous impact and breakthrough. At Verizon, we believe technology can provide powerful answers to the big challenges in our world, and last year – again and again – we saw the reality of this belief unfold in communities across the globe.

In the report you will read stories of how we’re working with leading nonprofit innovators to overcome challenges in education, healthcare and energy management, and how we’re expanding access to advanced mobile and cloud technologies in underserved communities.

To close the achievement gap in science and math, we provided teachers at 24 underserved schools around the country with on-going training and support on how to effectively integrate mobile technology into their instruction. The results are impressive: teachers reported that 37 percent of their students showed increased academic achievement and 59 percent of teachers were individualizing instruction more. It’s a powerful training model that works, and we’re expanding the program to reach teachers in every state as part of a public/private-sector initiative announced in February 2014 by President Obama.

Ed for blog.jpeg

In healthcare, we are using technology to enhance access to quality care in underserved communities. In the U.S., healthcare costs nearly $3 trillion a year, and 75 percent of costs are due to chronic disease. Technology can dramatically improve productivity in this system; bring vast, immediate improvements to care; and transform people’s lives for the better. For instance, by equipping Children’s Health Fund buses in key cities with 4G LTE wireless technology and other health IT solutions, Verizon is helping to save 4,000 hours of administrative work a year, enabling medical staff to provide more effective, real-time care for underserved children and families.

CHF for blog.jpeg

Similarly, mobile and cloud technologies provide the tools for people and institutions to use energy more efficiently. We’ve teamed up with Pecan Street Inc., a Texas-based energy research group, on a home energy trial that will empower consumers in underserved communities to make smarter choices about their energy use.

energy for blog.jpeg

Our report also highlights steps Verizon is taking to ensure we are acting responsibly in all our operations. Our progress includes an amendment to our Supplier Code of Conduct that explicitly protects workers’ freedoms; the launch of a Transparency Report; and a $100 million investment in green energy.

I invite you to read more about how we are applying our technology to solve big challenges, accelerating social change and creating value for our shareowners and the communities we serve.

Comments
by ohnonothimagain on ‎03-24-2014 03:29 PM - last edited on ‎03-24-2014 04:16 PM by Moderator

Pressing Problems Deserve Powerful Answers: Verizon’s 2013 Corporate Responsibility ???

This is a REAL statement made by a REAL person? Where is your corporate RESPONSIBILITY to giving me the Internet that I pay for and deserve? Why in the past 2+ years have technicians been out to my place 7-8-9 or more times to try and "fix" my internet connectivity? Why do you promise HIGH SPEED INTERNET when the best I can get on most days is 1-2 megabytes a second? I cannot have more than one thing using the internet at a time or the bandwidth gets so bogged down my Netflix rountinly collapses ? Where is your corporate responsibility on this? Why do I have to SUFFER with download speeds less than what I had when I had dial-up service in the '90's? Why is Verizon SO CHEAP that they'd rather keep putting bandaids on serious service issues rather than spend the money to bring FIOS to my area? When the FIOS fiber-optic cables are less than 1/4 mile from where I live? This is corporate responsibility? Technicians have told me time and time again that until and unless Verizon replaces old copper wiring with fiber optic that these issues will not go away. I got Verizon primarily because of your so-called "high speed" internet service. What is corporate responsibiliy when I can't get the sevice I pay for? 

{edited for privacy}

by DoraLorraine on ‎04-10-2014 07:48 AM

Corporate Responsibility should start with your customers you already have. All that do good stuff is fine but if you have customers that are paying for your service and not recieving it don't you think that's your responsibility.  I'm in a very similar place as LawrenceC and I've been paying for a service that I was finally told by a technitian that the lines are not capable of those speeds you need to be lowered to the lowest speed. I was told I could not be refunded for being charged for what was not even possible because we don't know what you were charged.  Excuse me, It's on each and every bill what I was being charged and for what.  Now I check and it again says I have enhanced speed and I'm sure I'm being charged the higher amount and that's why my internet is slow as a snail.  I can't believe I've been going through this slow connection for more than 6 years and I"ve even moved. I was hoping this would help but no it hasn't. I want my money back for a service I'm being charged for which actually makes my connection even slower. I'd like to send an email to Verizon but they don't give you that option.  I figure no one will even know this is here so I'll put it on websites just for this purpose and word of mouth goes a long way too. I think I'll check with the BBB to see if they can do something about it. It is wrong what they are doing.

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411