Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Testing New Technologies to Reclaim Lost Energy

by Employee ‎01-27-2010 02:53 PM - edited ‎02-10-2010 11:32 AM

Verizon.Lineage.test.jpgHypothetical situation: Every time you make a purchase of anything (from milk to a new pair of bunny slippers) the money you hand the clerk gets converted into another currency.

Here's the problem: With each conversion you lose a minimum of seven percent and sometimes as much as double that. I bet you'd want to find a better, more efficient way to convert your money? The details may be fictional but the loss per conversion is very real when it comes to electricity.

Communications carriers, wireless operators and Internet service providers like Verizon must convert electricity from commercial alternating current to direct current (AC to DC) to power equipment.  Currently, that conversion process is inefficient resulting in overconsumption of energy and the unnecessary creation of heat, which then creates the need to cool the equipment area. 

Verizon is partnering with Lineage Power to test two new technologies that significantly decrease the electricity used in the information and communications technology (ICT) industry. The first is a new more efficient rectifier (a piece of equipment essential to the AC to DC conversion process). The second is software that will help Verizon operate rectifiers at increased efficiency. The new technologies will be tested in five of Verizon's central office facilities across the country.

Verizon.LineagePower.test.JPG 

Efforts to improve the efficiency of power equipment are just the latest step taken by Verizon to reduce the environmental impact of our business.

Last year, Verizon became the first telecommunications company to mandate that the network equipment we buy be 20 percent more energy efficient. In effect, Verizon created an energy standard for network equipment in the industry. We also required that manufacturers use thermal modeling when designing circuit boards and equipment cabinets to be used in our network gear.

Overall, ICT facilities like those that keep our customers connected to what matters to them account for approximately 3 percent of all U.S. electricity use, according to Lineage Power. New innovations are making it to market each day, creating greater demand for Verizon's advanced networks. That's making it increasingly important to find new ways to increase energy efficiency.  

Comments
by 1TerryH on ‎01-28-2010 10:00 PM - last edited on ‎01-28-2010 10:53 PM by Moderator

Hello Jim,

I read the article about Verizon and Lineage power today. Kudos for making something happen that can affect us all. Especially loyal customers like myself.

One of the divisions of the company I work for has developed a core router that is every bit as powerful as the ones Vz buys from Cisco and Juniper. Only this one uses 80 less power. This product is deployed in several carriers including BT.   It is GA.

My question is who at Vz would be the right executive to shepherd a review of this product for Vz and yourself.?  

Email me and I will send you the exact details.

Terry Howard  {edited for privacy}

by Employee on ‎02-10-2010 11:49 AM

Hi, Terry. I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to respond. Thank you for your interest in Verizon. When you can, please send me a private message that includes some background on the router and your contact information and we'll get back to you.

Thanks again!

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411