Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Verizon Volunteer Hours Add Up for Schools & Nonprofits

by Employee Emeritus on ‎08-20-2010 01:51 PM

Here is a guest blog by Jayne Mayer - Director of Employee Engagement at Verizon.

Jayne MayerIn 2009, Verizon employees volunteered more than 700,000 hours through activities like serving on their PTAs, coaching youth athletics, tutoring children, and participating in other community service activities. We value every hour volunteered by our employees. So whether someone volunteers one hour a year or 1,000 – we make every volunteer hour count.

Employees can track their hours using the online Volunteer Journal and If they journal 50 or more hours this calendar year with the same nonprofit organization or school, they can apply for a $750 grant for that organization.  That’s a great deal all around for the numerous schools and other 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations where Verizon employees volunteer.

If you know of 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations or NCES public schools looking to recruit Verizon employee volunteers, ask them to visit http://foundation.verizon.com/requestvolunteers to submit their volunteer opportunities.

In the meantime, help us thank our volunteers for continuing their commitment to the communities where they live and work. 

Here’s a recent “Thank You” note I wrote to let them know that we appreciate their efforts.  Thank you and keep those hours coming!

Dear Colleagues,

Just a note to say “thank you” for the volunteer hours that so many of you have donated to your communities across the country.

I read your “post cards” and am inspired by the ways you contribute.  I’m pleased that the foundation has been able to help many of you give even more to those causes you support.

No matter how few or haw many hours you volunteer, I ask that you ”log” those hours on our Volunteer Journal.  Every hour counts!

Thank you,

Jayne Mayer

Employee Engagement

Verizon Foundation

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411