Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Announcements
The Verizon Small Business Facebook and Twitter pages have launched. Follow Us at www.twitter.com/vzsmallbiz and Find Us at www.facebook.com/verizonsmallbiz.

Displaying articles for: 12-27-2009 - 01-02-2010

The updated site will focus on communicating what we're doing to help make a difference for our customers and the communities where we live and work. This blog is the place for you to learn about our efforts to be a responsible partner and foster improvements in education, the environment, health care, accessibility and Internet safety. Read more...

It's time to draw this series to a close. I hope you've had a good holiday season and that you will continue to put our Internet safety tips to good use throughout the coming year. Read more...

The holidays are well underway, but if you're like me, you probably still have a lot to do. More and more people are turning to the Internet to make those last-minute purchases or to help make entertaining easier. So here are a few more Internet Safety tips to keep in mind over the holidays. Read more...

On December 3, I organized a conference call among the leaders of the disability community and select Verizon staff to discuss accessibility and public policy issues. This is actually a call that I schedule on a ... Read more...

Browsers help you move around the Internet and search engines make it easy to find information on the Internet. A secure browser, combined with an antivirus/anti-spyware program, helps you identify safe and unsafe web sites. Read more...

With the Holidays fast approaching I thought it might be time for a little brushing up on Internet Safety tips. Often we tend to focus on youngsters to make sure their Internet experience is safe, but today I'd like to focus on older Americans as they get online perhaps for the first time. Read more...

Better Business Torch Award

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 11:27 PM

This year Verizon is a recipient of the Torch award in the category of marketplace excellence. Needless to say, we're pleased with the BBB's recognition not only because it acknowledges great business performance, but also because it recognizes Verizon as a good corporate citizen. We've always believed that engaging the community builds business as well as social value. Read more...

clark gold 03.jpgClark Rachfal, an intern in our Public Affairs organization in Washington, D.C., brought home a gold medal two weeks ago from the Para-Cycling World Championships in Manchester, England. Rachfal, who is legally blind, won the 4-Kilometer Pursuit with fellow cyclist Dave Swanson, the pilot on their tandem bike.

Read more...

Bubbe in Cyberspace

by Employee Emeritus on ‎12-30-2009 11:25 PM

Bubbe is an 83 year old grandmother who has an Internet cooking show that her grandson produces. Bubbe cooks and tells stories from her family's past. She has a large following and has found that she is now Grandmother, or Bubbe, to thousands of people on-line. Read more...

I recently had the opportunity to meet with two different entrepreneurs to learn about how they are using broadband technology to deliver common sense, energy efficient solutions. As the father of three children, ... Read more...

When I talk to parents about the Internet often one of the first topics to pop up is safety. Is my child safe online? How do I know that my child isn't accessing inappropriate material? How much personal information is too much on a Facebook page? Read more...

Digital Literacy in a Virtual World

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 11:18 PM

The Safe Internet Alliance held its annual conference on Capitol Hill (Oct. 20), where I spoke about what we're learning from consumers when it comes to Internet safety. The upshot: there's plenty of good news about what people are doing with broadband and wireless technologies. Read more...

Fun and Games at AARP in Las Vegas

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 11:14 PM

I attended AARP’s National Convention that was held in Las Vegas, Nevada from October 21-24. To be honest, the 30,000 plus attendees are there to see speakers and events related to aging, stroll the massive ... Read more...

A few weeks ago Kathy Brown wrote in this space about her experience at the national domestic violence summit, which was held in Dallas. This year's summit explored two central themes - engaging communities to help end domestic violence, and bringing men into the conversation to be part of the solution. Read more...

Sexting: From Concern to Action

by Employee Emeritus ‎12-30-2009 11:07 PM - edited ‎12-30-2009 11:08 PM

If ever there was a "hot button issue," sexting fits the bill. It has handily piqued the curiosity, ire and concern of everyone from parents to school administrators to policymakers to law enforcement and understandably, mobile carriers such as us. Sexting is generally defined as the act of sending sexually explicit photos via cell phones (or over other electronic devices, including computers). Recently, we partnered with the Ad Council to create a PSA called "Textual Harassment." Read more...

What's the Bright Idea?

by Employee Emeritus on ‎12-30-2009 11:06 PM

We have to take a moment to pause and reflect on this year's Nobel Prize in Physics awardees. Three scientists received the award: Dr. Charles K. Kao, Dr. Willard S. Boyle and Dr. George E. Smith. All three physicists are being recognized for the work they performed in labs forty or more years ago. And the outcomes of their efforts touch every one of our lives in some way. Read more...

I was pleased to see cjackson's blog post on our domestic violence summit last week. What was important to me was to see that the discussion of this very serious social issue is broadening and becoming more inclusive of all victims of domestic violence. The panels, particularly the one focused on men taking a more active role in breaking the cycle of violence, generated a thought-provoking discussion among panel members and the audience. Read more...

Delivering Educational Content via Mobile Phones

by Jenn_Fritschi on ‎12-30-2009 10:55 PM - last edited on ‎01-11-2010 06:11 PM by Admin Emeritus

I recently ran across this video , "School There's an App For That?" from Frontline's Digital Nation. In it, Secretary of Education Arne Duncan talks about innovative ways to make use of mobile phones to teach kids. Read more...

As we've been talking about corporate responsibility these past few months I've been hoping to give you some concrete examples of how this plays out in the market. In recent weeks we have had some exciting validation of our efforts. Read more...

Recently, Latina Style magazine announced its 2009 list of 50 Best Companies for Latinas, and for the seventh consecutive year Verizon was selected. I can't say I was surprised, considering it was one of the reasons that I was interested in working for Verizon, but it did lead me to reflect upon my own experience as a Latina working at Verizon. Read more...

Following up on the theme that time is energy, for several years, Verizon has offered a paperless billing option to its customers. To date 2.5 million customers have taken us up on the offer; enough to eliminate 97 ... Read more...

Originally posted on September 9, 2009

This YouTube video is absolutely inspirational. It's a day in the life of Michael Tanner, a Verizon Wireless customer service representative with special needs. See more...

Read more...

TALKS Now Available on the HTC Ozone

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 11:12 AM

I’ve blogged before about our new TALKS software, which synthesizes speech on specific smart phone models. A TALKS-enabled smart phone speaks letters as they are typed and announces the function of a button ... Read more...

Originally posted on September 9, 2009

Our habitat restoration efforts at our corporate campus in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, are starting to bear fruit. Or actually, chicks. I’m happy to report that a colony of purple martins, members of the swallow ...

Read more...

Broadband: the 98 Percent Solution

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 11:09 AM

If Ben Franklin were here to witness how the power of broadband can save time and energy, he might update his axiom, “Time is Money” to “Time is Energy.” I have been an advocate for ... Read more...

Broadband and the E-Patient

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 11:05 AM

Powered by broadband connections, consumers are using health care websites to post their comments, tuning-in to medical podcasts, reading online reviews of doctors and facilities before making the decision to access service, and learning about the side-effects of drugs - a plethora of information in the e-medical landscape that is educating and empowering the individual decision-making process. Read more...

Common Sense Media has recently posted a report titled Is Social Networking Changing Childhood? A National Poll . This report is largely good news for parents in that it shows that kids are being kids online - chatting and texting with each other (a lot) and sharing stuff they have created (social networking pages) with others. What parents can take away from this report, like most of its predecessors, is that the internet is overwhelmingly a good thing for kids, families, and society in general. Read more...

We've just completed this Public Service Announcement that highlights a series of short, free videos on the Verizon Foundation website that show how technology can help victims of domestic violence. The videos feature Cindy Southworth, a technology expert for the National Network to End Domestic Violence. Read more...

I’ve been Verizon’s liaison to the disabled community for 5 1/2 years now, and lately I’ve been impressed by how rapidly technological advances and fast Internet connections are leveling the ... Read more...

Verizon’s TDI Award Ceremony Video

by Employee ‎12-30-2009 12:55 AM - edited ‎12-30-2009 01:03 AM

Originally posted on August 6, 2009

Verizon was one of the honorees at the TDI awards luncheon this past weekend (along with AT&T for “improving accessibility to telecommunications and media”), and we had a chance to present a short video. So we made one with a small twist – it’s done in American Sign Language, with captioning for the hearing, instead of the hearing-impaired. ...

Read more...

When I talk to senior citizens and their advocates, I often find that those who don't go online feel intimidated by the online experience and they're really worried about falling victim to scams and swindlers. They're right to be concerned, of course, but that shouldn't stop them from going online, where the ease and simplicity of keeping in touch with friends make joining the online community so rewarding. Read more...

A Bright Spot for Non-Profits

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 12:49 AM

A story in the July 29 Washington Post pointed to a bright spot in an otherwise dark time for non-profits in our country. They - more than some - have been hit hard by the economic downturn. Read more...

Digital Citizenship

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 12:46 AM

The United States Department of Education publishes a solid document that carefully discusses how to teach children the values and skills needed to become a responsible citizen. Much of it is based on building strong character and having respect for others. Just as these building blocks are essential to a healthy lifestyle for children in the "real" world, they are crucially important to championing the ins and outs of the online world. That is why "digital citizenship" is a term with which Verizon is acutely aware and is an active participant. Read more...

In case you haven't heard, today President Obama and Vice President Biden named Lynn Rosenthal to the newly created position of White House Advisor on Violence Against Women. Read more...

On the morning train headed to work, I pulled out the paper released by former Senate Majority Leaders Baker, Dole and Daschle. The report specifies four "pillars" for reform - achieving health care quality, making insurance affordable, emphasizing personal responsibility, and making health care financing sustainable. Read more...

Excellent Journalism from FRONTLINE

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 12:36 AM

The best reporting I've seen on the impact of the Web, digital media and broadband is coming from the journalists at the PBS series FRONTLINE. They're working on a documentary called Digital Nation which is slated to air in early 2010. Video "chapters" are posted as they go along. The latest installment explores how technology is - and isn't - changing our schools. Read more...

We recently introduced a new wireless service for the vision-impaired community that is unique in the industry — a Motorola handset with TALKS software. In addition to the standard voice activation features that other handsets have, this software lets the handset carry out all functions in voice. Read more...

See You in Nashville

by Employee on ‎12-30-2009 12:32 AM

We’re going to have a major presence at the upcoming Hearing Loss Association of America conference in Nashville next week, and I’m looking forward to it. In addition to participating in policy ... Read more...

Making a Difference for Our Customers & Communities
The Responsibility Blog — Learn how Verizon is using communications technology to connect people to the larger resources of the community—education, health care, accessibility and safety—in ways that make lives better. Visit the Verizon Communications Corporate Responsibility Report. We hope you will share your views with us.

To view vital speeches given by our authors, visit our speeches page.

About the Authors

Rose Kirk

V.P. of Global Corporate Citizenship and President of the Verizon Foundation

Photo of Rose Kirk

Rose leads Verizon's global corporate responsibility initiatives and philanthropic strategy, which focuses on applying Verizon's technology to improve education, healthcare and energy management.

James Gowen

Chief Sustainability Officer/
V.P. of Services Operations

Photo of James Gowen

James oversees Verizon’s supply chain, vehicle fleet, investment recovery, purchasing and materials management and sustainability initiatives.

Jack McArtney

Director of Corporate and Community Responsibility

Photo of Rose Kirk

Jack promotes digital wellness and online safety. He works with parents, educators, service providers, application developers and industry leaders to foster responsible use of Verizon's mobile and broadband networks.

Twitter
Categories
Related Info

Policy Blog

Discuss technology and telecommunications public policy.

Verizon at Home Blog

New or improved Verizon products and services.

Verizon Foundation

Information on Verizon's efforts to reduce domestic violence and promote literacy and education.

Thinkfinity

55,000+ free, standards-based classroom resources spanning every K-12 discipline.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411