• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
rjc33558

2 Wireless Connections on the Router for added control

by rjc33558 on ‎02-05-2012 05:49 AM

Like many families, we have many devices wirelessly connecting to our FIOS router.  We have 2 iPhones, iTouch, Wii, Xbox, DSi. 

I would like to divide these up into Adult and Child access, with the ability to set time of day limits on the Child connection.

Adult connection: Has its own wireless access code, not printed on the router.  This one is available 24x7 for the PC, iPhones, and is used by FIOS TV and Phone.

Child connection: The wireless access code is the one printed on the router.  This one defaults to 24x7 but is passcode protected and the administrator can set a grid of which times this connection is on / off.  My grid might look like this:

(Part 1 - Mark School Days on Calendar)

This allows for "Weekend" settings on holidays or Spring / Summer break, etc., without parental intervention.

(Part 2 - Set Access TImes)

Nights before school: Off at 10pm.

School days: Off until 6pm.

Weekend (Fri 6pm - Sun afternoon, because Sun night becomes "Before School") Allow until midnight, then off until 7am.

With our current setup, we have to do one of the following:

(a) Turn off router at midnight - but teenager knows how to turn it back on.

(b) Stay up until midnight, and take the controllers and iTouch away at that time.

We looked into XBOX settings, and they limit number of hours per day or week, but not time of day.

Comments
by Moderator on ‎02-06-2012 04:42 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by MVP somegirl MVP on ‎02-06-2012 10:35 PM

I don't think that's possible with the current set up, but you might look into the parental control options already available. You could probably limit them by device in some way.

If you're really set on having two networks, you'll probably have to purchase another router.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools