Customers With Disabilities
prisaz

ADA settings or features for vision impaired users.

by ‎04-18-2011 07:36 PM - edited ‎04-18-2011 07:40 PM

This could be an industry first. If not available. It would also be inline with Verizon's Community Responsibility Ideals.

Perhaps Verizon should have had "themes".. I believe that someone that has vision issues may be some of the biggest complainers about 1.9 contrasts. But than again, why would they want HD. ADA compliant guide for the Vision impaired? Not that there is such a thing. It could be a Verizon first. I would love to be able to toggle screen guide modes with a simple push of a button. Without getting my glasses.

Is your STB or DVR ADA compliant? Does Verizon consider ADA compliance. Might be a good idea to offer an special ADA compliant option setting for your hardware. High contrast etc.

Comments
by Admin Emeritus on ‎04-20-2011 02:07 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎01-05-2012 05:08 AM

F.Y.I.

The Cisco DVR hardware has an option for setting this DVS feature in the Menu. Not sure about Motorola. Perhaps they can help, depending on your location and hardware availability. It does say that DVS is not available for all content. So I am not sure where it comes from. The content provider, or the guide provider, I have not turned it on or tried it. Perhaps I will and report back. Anyone else?

by dlh on ‎04-14-2012 12:29 PM

My wife has retinitis pigmentosa and is legally blind. She can still watch tv but onscreen menus, guides, etc are a problem--- no contrast or poor font size and/or color. She uses her computer which has Zoomtext magnifier/reader installed to view either Yahoo TV's Zap 2it guide for Verizon programs or TV Guide (not as good because of all the ads). This works but she has to go to another room to do it. It would be much better to either use a good High Contrast for onscreen stuff (white on pale blue is no good) or as mentioned before offer a selection of available settings. Consult with the Zoomtext people ( AI Squared is company name) they understand how to provide readable screens.

by dlh on ‎06-21-2012 05:46 PM

There seems to have been a change in the Guide and On Demand this week. Gone is the white on pale blue replaced by white on fairly black. There is now enough contrast for my wife to read them.

Thank you very much for the change- the only thing lacking was some notification that it happened. The only way she knew was to see it on the bottom of the display when changing channels.

This is a big step in the right direction for vision impaired viewers.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools