• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
Carl

Add In for Windows 7 Media Center - IPTV

by on ‎09-29-2010 10:17 AM

Currently, FiOS offers VOD, et. al. over IPTV. Can Verizon (maybe with the help of SeaChange) write an application for Windows 7 Media Center that will allow MC users to access the VOD and PPV libraries over IPTV? Yes, I know there are options like NetFlix for PPV, but if I only want to see 2 or 3 movies a year, I don't want the monthly fee if I can avoid it.

Then, when VZ begins migrating channels to IPTV to relieve the QAM space constraints, the application can then also tune in the channels that are migrated to IPTV. Imagine what one could do with the Ceton Infinitv4 + IPTV app for FiOS. 

If such an app were to be created, please do not have me acknowledge EVERY time that the application is for use by Verizon Customers (like Call Assistant). Just have me acknowledge that during the install.

Carl

Over the next 2 years we expect to expand the types of devices that can access all FiOS TV (live TV, VOD, widgets, etc) content at home and on the go.
Comments
by Admin Emeritus on ‎09-29-2010 01:55 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by on ‎09-29-2010 06:00 PM

This would be a cool feature to allow what ever content you have available for VOD to be accessed VIA a PC, along with the channels currently available online. It would not even need to be an application, but just an add on to the existing online viewing options. It could extend the reach of your VOD pay services to customers, and allow online access to the free content. More exposure for your VOD pay content. But then this may conflict with the new studio requirements of a 28 day released delay I believe I read about. I believe your VOD makes it available first. But this being a subscription service to make VOD available through FiOS it could be a loop hole for you. Get legal to look at it. It would put you leaps and bounds above the competition, and perhaps entice more customers to FiOS.

by Admin Emeritus on ‎10-05-2010 11:00 AM
Status changed to: Under Review

by on ‎10-05-2010 02:43 PM

well, at least it hasn't been flat out rejected yet!!!

prisaz, I don't know if I would want them to extend it out to only the online viewing options. I would like Verizon to integrate IPTV tuning into Media Center and allow us to access the Verizon VOD and PPV libraries seamlessly in the Media Center Guide, if possible.

I know this only plays with the "geeks" in the crowd and could be an issue for Verizon support, if they had to support Windows Media Center. However, I wonder if it would be possible to extend FiOS into Widows Media Center on an "experimental" or "limited support" basis. I think those who use Media Center (and I am a noob w/ it) could find support through these forums or others dedicated to Media Center (like that Microsoft owned one).

Thanks Verizon for considering this option.

Carl

by on ‎10-05-2010 07:35 PM

Carl

Please note I did vote for your Idea. Everyone can comment and provide feedback on ideas. If you click on the votes number at the top of the votes box, it shows who voted. Note prisaz being gold gives you two votes. Under consideration is a good thing, it means they are evaluating the idea, not just acknowledging it is here.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of FiOS as I do. But there is always room for improvement.

by on ‎10-05-2010 09:28 PM

prisaz,

I do know you voted for my idea, and I thank you for that. Maybe I misread what you wrote (which is entirely possible). I just wanted to clarify my idea a little more and didn't want it stop at the just VOD/PPV, considering we all know that Verizon has to move some channels over to IPTV to alleviate the QAM space issue.

Been a happy customer since 11/08, and enjoyed my drive to the Time Warner Cable shop down the street with all of my gear in my arms!!!

I was extremely happy to see it "Under Review" instead of "Not Likely" at this point. 

Carl

by on ‎10-06-2010 02:04 AM

I see now. OK. I may have wrote what I misread. :-)

by Employee on ‎10-06-2010 09:48 AM
Status changed to: Accepted
Over the next 2 years we expect to expand the types of devices that can access all FiOS TV (live TV, VOD, widgets, etc) content at home and on the go.
by on ‎10-06-2010 01:02 PM

I would vote more than once if I could. I bet that there are a lot more folks that would use your suggestion than most might think, simply because the idea isn't old enough or public enough yet. A lot of folks don't even know what's possible right now. I guess that some might have an issue regarding copywrite infringement, but I think that ship may have sailed already.

by on ‎10-06-2010 04:50 PM

Accepted? Cool. Thanks Verizon.

Hopefully, some feature are available when channels begin moving to IPTV. I realy don't want to lose channels for any period of time.

Again, thanks Verizon.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools