Customers With Disabilities
rich_lux

Additional DVR Functionality

by rich_lux on ‎04-17-2012 01:13 PM

Here are a few suggestions that would make using the DVR a much better experience.  Some of them would also give Verizon a competitive edge:

1) In a multiple DVR environment, when setting a recording from a DVR box, allow us to choose which DVR to record to.  Currently you can do this with NON DVR boxes, but on a DVR box, it always records to the DVR you are on.

2) Allow DVR programs to be viewed on a computer or smartphone.  I know you have FlexView, but that is only for ON DEMAND programming.  I would like to be able to watch shows that are already recorded on my DVR when I'm not at home.

3) Allow us to name a manual recording. It is impossible to remember what a manual recording is without being able to name it.

4) Have the "Last" button go back to whatever you were watching last even if it was a DVR recording.  If I"m watching a show from my DVR, but I accidentally exit or change channels, it would be nice to get back to the recording by just hitting the LAST button.  COMCAST already does this.

5) When changing channels while both tuners are recording a show, allow the user to switch to the other recording instead of just canceling it.  COMCAST already does this.

6) Allow trimming of shows stored on the DVR to save space (from either the beginning or end).  For example, if I'm watching a show from my DVR that is 2 hours long, but I only have time to watch 1 hour of it.  It would be nice if I could delete everything up to the point I'm at now, so it doesn't take up as much space.  Similarly, when I have to extend the recording time for shows because the guide is not updated when a live show takes longer, it would be nice to be able to delete what's not needed from the end of the recording.

Thanks,

Richard

thank you for the feedback. These are good suggestions and observations.
Comments
by on ‎04-17-2012 10:55 PM

I would love to see these implemented, especially #3 and #4.   You can vote for #3 here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Create-title-for-manual-recording/idi-p/4... .

I've seen other threads about #2.  Just today, Anthony_VZ gave suggestions for recording to your computer:

Question: "i would really like to take advantage of what i'm paying for my fios service at home.....is there any way to record shows seen at home on the dvr........say on my laptop and then play from my laptop at my vacation home?"

Answer: "There is no easy way to do it. What can be done is getting a tv tuner card for your laptop. Then you could plug your dvr to the laptop. Then you would be able to play the show on the DVR and then record it on the laptop. This is a realtime copy meaning it would take 2 hours to copy a 2 hour movie. Another option would be to get a sling box to hook up at your home with FIOS. You can then access anything on the DVR (including live TV) from your internet connected laptop. Neither of those 2 options are supported by Verizon tech support though. So you would be on your own for installation, use, and troubleshooting."

( http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/can-t-play-my-recorded-shows-on-another-tv...

For #5, in the meantime it's pretty easy to switch to the other channel that's recording.  When you change the channel and get the message about continuing recording or deleting it, just ignore it and hit exit on the remote.  Then hit DVR and click on the other show.  It's very fast and also instinctive.

by on ‎04-18-2012 04:47 AM

Great feature add ideas!

by kouya ‎04-18-2012 10:19 AM - edited ‎04-18-2012 10:21 AM

I agree with the feature ideals for the dvr. I would also like to see more than one phone registered for remote dvr recording functions. A multi-room system should also be able to be remotely programmed by multi-users.

by Employee on ‎04-19-2012 11:48 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
thank you for the feedback. These are good suggestions and observations.
by Mistaya on ‎04-23-2012 08:02 PM

I just came to Fios from Comcast and never even thought their multiroom DVR would only allow you to record 2 shows and in the process watch one of them. Comcast allowed you to watch another channel while you recorded two shows. The dumbest thing about this is why would I want to record a show I have to watch.  There are several things I have noticed with Fios being behind the times and am starting to regret changing to them.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools