• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
UnnDunn

Allow FiOS TV boxes to use DLNA to share media

by ‎09-28-2010 02:31 PM - edited ‎09-28-2010 03:13 PM

Instead of having us download and install yet another media management application (VZ Media Manager), how about just supporting DLNA, so that existing DLNA servers can work with the FiOS TV box?

Windows Media Player on Windows Vista/7 already provides a DLNA server. I see no real reason why VZ Media Manager is necessary.

I understand Media Manager is required for us to be able to access YouTube on our boxes, but surely that functionality can be broken out into a smaller application that can run as a service on Windows, instead of this giant, memory-hogging thing that must run in the foreground all the time...

You might not remember, but we introduce the capability of sharing content from the computer onto the TV screen in 2006... before DLNA was on the scene. Verizon is committed to employing DLNA to share content between devices in the home. You Tube, iHeart Radio, etc will be able to be directly accessed from the Internet by most set top boxes in the future also removing the need for Media Manager to bridge to the set top box. Stay tuned.
Comments
by corbulon on ‎03-12-2012 11:18 PM
"Are we there yet"? It is a year and a half since the comment advising to "stay tuned" for DLNA was posted... Thanks!
by genuap on ‎04-17-2012 12:49 PM

Wondering if there's been any progress on this (adding DNLA capability to the Fios set to boxes). What's the timeframe for DLNA support?

This is seriously the only reason I'm considering switching to cable once my contract is up. 

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools