• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
eweiser

Allow customer to control recording destination when using eSATA external drive

by eweiser ‎04-09-2012 05:32 PM - edited ‎04-10-2012 06:21 AM

Greetings, Verizon Idea Exchange:

Here are my ideas for new features of the Veriizon FiOS DVR, when using an external eSATA drive:

1. New setting allowing the user to specify whether the external (eSATA) or internal (local) drive is the primary/default for scheduled or individual recordings.

See http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiostv/other hardware/esata/129841.htm, which includes the following:

“Once connected, all recordings automatically record on your eSATA device until it is full or disconnected from the DVR. Once your eSATA device has reached recording capacity, additional programs then record to the hard drive of your DVR.”

This new feature would make it possible for the customer  to permanently remove the external drive, once its content has been viewed and/or deleted. Otherwise, the customer is not only stuck with content on the external drive, but also the inability to prevent additional scheduled or manually selected recordings from being added to the external drive while the customer is trying to "catch up" with unviewed recordings.

2. New setting allowing the user to specify whether the external or internal drive is used for "caching" the currently selected station (tuner channel).

This new feature would alleviate the need for constant disk access of the external drive, when not set as the "cache."

3. New setting allowing the user to specify whether a specific program or series is to be recorded on the internal or external drive.

4. New ability for the user to move content between external and internal drives.

Thank you.

Comments
by chipchristian on ‎04-11-2012 04:54 AM

That would be really useful.  A friend of mine uses external storage and had an incident of some sort a few weeks back that wiped out all of his recordings.  I take it there's a single filesystem that spans both drives?

by eweiser on ‎04-11-2012 10:36 AM

I wote this because my need for external storage was temporary. Now I can't reformat that external drive and put it back into service for computer backup until (if I can) I remove all its content. Plus, I have to listen to it clack away all day next to my desk and computer (which, incidentally, uses the same, usaully quiet external drives).

by Moderator on ‎06-26-2012 02:17 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by charlieg20817 on ‎09-09-2013 02:48 PM

I have a problem with my external drive and that is that when I delete programs the File listing shows that I have deleted these programs but they continue to show in the listing.  The exact message is: "This program was deleted by the user.  To see an updated list of recordings, exit this screen and relaunch it." Of course relaunching the screen doesn't do anything.

The only solution that might work to clean up this drive is at some point decide to bite the bullet and reformat the drive.  If this system was designed by someone familiar with all the problems we in the computer business have had over the years they would give us a way to move the programs we wanted to keep from one drive to another.  BUT they apparently haven't thought this system through very well.  

So what we need to do is to get rid of all the shows on the external drive, but there is no way to even find out what is on the external drive and what is on the internal drive.  The symbols used beside these recording doesn't make any sense to me. And there is no explanation that I can find.

BUT the problem constantly gets worse because all of the new shows are recorded NOT on the internal drive but on the external drive.  So it is a constantly changing list.  We need a way to stop the recordings from going to this external drive. 

We also need the ability to add additional external drives to other DVR's. My secondary DVR is too small to be of much use.  If I could add an additional external DRV to another DVR in the house that would at least help because I could shut down ALL recording on this first DVR. 

So the list of suggestions:

1. be able to direct where recordings are made

2. give us the ability to move recordings from an external DVR to either the internal DVR or to another external recording device

3. fix the file table on the external drive

4. give us the ability to add another external drive to a secondary DVR

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools