Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
savant

Automatically Display HD Broadcast When SD Channel# Is Selected and HD Is Available

by savant on ‎06-19-2012 04:49 PM

The recent update got us half-way there: When you select the SD version of a channel that is available in HD, pressing C on the remote switches to the HD channel. But why not take it further? That is, If the STB is set to use 1080i or 720p or connected via HDMI, why not auto-map the HD version of the broadcast to both the lower and the higher channel#s?  I can't think of any reason why anyone would want to watch the SD broadcast if the HD version is available. And then one could watch local HD by pressing 2, 4, 5, or 7 (etc.) rather than 502, 504 (or worse, using the clumsy Channel+C combination}.

Cablevision's HD STBs work this way - it would be nice to see FIOS do the same.

Comments
by MommE on ‎06-20-2012 05:05 AM

I also like that feature, however I would not want to be denied the option of viewing the SD channel. When my HD show gets too many "digitizing hickups" I prefer to see that show in SD rather than a choppy, halting and often skipping HD. (and yes, my hardware connections are all properly done and tightened.)

by savant ‎06-20-2012 10:44 AM - edited ‎06-20-2012 10:48 AM

in response to MommE:

I think most (maybe all?) of the cable SD channels are also available on channels 1500-1800, except maybe the local ones. If they added those up there as well, you would have everything you need. Another option that might address your concerns would be if Verizon used that "C" button on the remote to switch the channel to SD.

With regard switching to SD because of "choppy, halting and often skipping HD," this should not happen on FIOS unless there is something wrong with your equipment or cabling! Call and get a tech out there and have them check your ONT, MOCA, splitters, and coax, as well as the signal levels at the STBs.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎06-20-2012 10:55 AM

I actually like having the option of watching in either HD or SD, despite having all HD TVs now. Recording on the DVR takes a whole lot more space in HD so sometimes I want SD recordings for long programs, plus as someone said, occasionally an HD channel doesn't come through clearly (or at all) and at least by watching the SD channel I can see the program.

And of course the IMG does display the option to hit the C button on the remote if I choose an SD channel that also is available in HD. So I don't understand why this is an issue, I like the scheme we have now.

by savant ‎06-20-2012 04:04 PM - edited ‎06-20-2012 04:08 PM

In response to Justin:

Your point regarding using less recording space with SD is valid, but upgrading to 500gb 7232 or adding an inexpensive eSATA drive can solve that problem, plus there is much more free/subscribed content On Demand which reduces what one needs to record. And you could record SD channels that are between 1500-1800 (although I'll admit they're not all there now). Or Verizon could make HD/SD a recording option.

As I responded earlier, issues with HD broadcasts that are not glitches from the content provider indicate a problem with your installation or somewhere upstream and should be addressed with Verizon. In 3+ years on FIOS, I haven't had even 1 issue with any HD channels.

You said you don't understand why this is an issue. Well, it's more of a wish or preference than an issue. Like most people over 30, the lower channel numbers are embedded in my brain as being associated with certain stations. Since I have some tech skills, it's not the end of the world for me. But if you have an older parent or grandparents with an HDTV and try to explain that they should watch channel 502 or press C instead of watching channel 2, most likely you will get  a puzzled look in return.

As a compromise, I would even be happy if we had the reverse of the current SD/HD channel configuration: Lower channels are HD, higher channels (lower# + 500) are SD, and the C button switches the HD lower channels to SD. As HDTV becomes the norm in US households, it would seem like the logical direction to go in.

by Gold Contributor VII ‎06-20-2012 05:46 PM - edited ‎06-21-2012 09:57 AM

In response to savant:

You make some good points, but I still am perfectly happy with things the way they are. That is probably in part because I am 71 1/2 years old and (somewhat) set in my ways, in Sept. we will have had FiOS TV for 7 years, and we have lived in the same house for 32 1/2 years, so I am used to both the FiOS scheme and the local TV stations..... :smileyhappy:

Over almost 7 years with FiOS TV I most definitely have occasionally seen issues with an HD Channel where the SD equivalent was just fine. I assure you my installation is just fine. But stuff just sometimes happens.....

Are you using a Favorites list? I am a big fan of Favorites, I only put SD channels in the list if there is no HD version, so my Favorites is mostly HD channels with a few SD channels down at the bottom. Works very well for us, no confusion despite our somewhat advanced ages...

As to the DVR capacity, I have a 7232 but my wife tends to record some pretty useless stuff and wants to keep it there (my view only of course), so our 500 GB drive is always pretty full. Yes I could get an external hard drive, but I really don't have a place in my setup in my office for an external drive, plus I just really don't want to spend the $$$$ - remember, as you pointed out they are eSATA not USB, and they need to be rated for continuous use, so they are not the cheap external drives you might use for backup on a computer (of which I have 4 for unknown reasons).

We all have our preferences. In my view no one is right and no one is wrong, it is just what we like or what we are used to. FiOS has been this way from the beginning, I am happy with it the way it is so I hope they keep it this way, and I really doubt Verizon is going to make major changes. Of course I have been wrong before, and if they change the channel setup then I will just get used to it and enjoy the service anyway.

by savant on ‎06-20-2012 09:21 PM

Justin,

I guess I'm not going to get your vote :smileysad: . But like you said, we all have our preferences (and this is one of the few things that I think Cablevision does better than VZ).

I tend to channel surf, so I don't use Favorites often, but I do occasionally set it for HD Channels only.

You might be surprised to see that these DVRs have quite ordinary desktop SATA drives inside, with desktop MTBF specs. I purchased a 750GB WD Black drive and a 3.5 inch drive enclosure for about $100, put it together and connected to the DVR all in about 10 minutes. Of course, there is a tendency to start filling that up with years of shows, and then we are back to square one again. :smileyhappy:  

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎06-21-2012 10:13 AM

savant,

No, I don't think you will get my vote...... :smileyhappy:

I channel surf a lot too, but there are many channels that I will never, ever watch or listen to (shopping, music, the various premiums since I discontinued those, plus many more), so using Favorites is critical to me to not land on any of those useless (to me) channels. I can't imagine trying to use any TV system which doesn't let me remove from the channel up/down buttons the channels I am not interested in 99% or more of the time.

Why not set up one Favorites list for the channels you might ever possibly use, and one for HD-only if that is what you want? What I have is Favorites 1 for any channels I want to watch, and then I use Favorites 2 any time Verizon offers a free preview for channels I do not subscribe to. Usually the free previews are not too many channels so it doesn't take long to set up, and all of those channels can be removed with one button push.

Regarding the hard drive inside the DVR, ok, but really that doesn't matter to me. If it fails, yes I lose all of my recordings, but Verizon will replace the DVR at no cost. Now if I buy an external drive and it fails, it is on my $$$. Plus I hope you kept in mind that the external drive is busy 100% of the time, doesn't matter whether the DVR is turned on or off, because the DVR always buffers the last two channels you tuned to; I am not suggesting that your drive will fail, but if I were to buy one I would want one designed for constant use. Just me maybe......

As I said earlier, if Verizon were to decide to implement what you asked for and discontinue the way it is now, I could live with it, I would adjust probably pretty quickly, but I just am not in favor of the change, at least for now.

by savant ‎06-21-2012 03:23 PM - edited ‎06-21-2012 03:30 PM

Justin,

The internal drive runs and writes constantly as well (as do OS drives to a lesser degree with power saving disabled), and while this allows one to rewind the current channel even when the DVR was "off", it's not exactly Verizon's contribution to Green technololgy:smileyvery-happy:.

I doubt that I can sway you to buy an external drive anymore than I will convince you to that lower channels should be HD :smileyhappy: But.. I have worked in IT infrastructure and development for 30 years and today's retail SATA drives have mean time between failure rates that equate to 45 to 80 years (Of course QC and murphy's law will come into play way before then). I had the same drive I'm using now for 2+ years hooked up to my CV DVR for 5 years without issue. Anyway, I think we are getting off-topic here, maybe this is a discussion for another thread.

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎06-21-2012 05:09 PM

savant,

Yes, I know very well how the DVR works. And am familiar the reliability of current drives. My intended point was just that it didn't matter to me what kind of drive was in the DVR since the DVR belonged to Verizon and if it failed they would replace the box, no $$$ out of pocket, while the external drive would be mine and I would be on the hook if it failed, and thus if I were going to get an external drive I would prefer to have one intended for the purpose at hand.

You got into the business in 1982 or so huh? I predate you just a little bit, late 1965 with an IBM 1401, retired at the end of 2002. :smileyvery-happy:

I agree, this has gotten way off-topic. I will not disrupt your topic any further :smileyhappy:

by Moderator on ‎07-05-2012 01:30 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools