• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
NYC_viper

Cable Card (1st one free to customer) and Rental Fees

by NYC_viper on ‎09-08-2012 03:53 PM

Verizon currently charges $3.99/month to rent a cable card. Essentially when one rents a Set Top Box, currently $11.99/month, the set top box rental fee is $8.00/month + cable card rental fee of $3.99/month.

Verizon FiOS should provide the first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g.: TiVO) for free of charge to its customers. I recently got a retail device and Verizon is charging $3.99/month to rent it. Usually when a customer purchase their own device (e.g.: TiVO, Ceton InfiniTV 4) that requires a CableCARD, it is owing to the fact that Verizon or a cable provider charges to much to rent its devices (e.g.: set top box, multi-room DVR).

Why can't Verizon follow Comcast's lead? Comcast is your competition.

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD equipped televisions) is free to Comcast customers.  If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (i.e., TiVo Series 3 boxes), the cost is $1.50 per month for the additional card.   Again, this ONLY applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

Source: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

The question is will Verizon consider provide the first CableCARD to it customer free or at least consider reducing the rental fee of a CableCARD (e.g. $1.50/month or $2.00/month).

At the end if you can't do the above, I would suggest offering the option for a customer to buy the CableCARD legitimately. It is essentially a PCMCIA card. I've seen CableCARD on eBay, the only question becomes if they are legitimate or not (that is possibly stolen).

Hopefully Verizon will consider the above idea with regards to CableCARD fees.

Comments
by Moderator on ‎09-10-2012 02:30 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by godofpathos on ‎09-23-2012 11:51 AM

I second this suggestion. People like myself who use the first Tivo with HD recording capability (Series3) need two cable cards, regardless of whether they are single or multistream cards.  In order to utilize the dual tuners, both cable card slots need to be filled.  Thus, we are being charged for 2 cable cards even though they are both for the same device.  Add insult to injury, FiOS charges double of what Cablevision charges per cablecard ($4 versus $2).  I just switched to FiOS from Optimum and will be spending an extra $48/year on cable card fees just to use my Series3 TiVo.  Not cool, Verizon.

by wwsmith on ‎02-22-2013 12:04 PM

I am used to paying for a cablecard rental, but $4 a month is too much and is double of what cablevision charges in New Jersey.

by godofpathos ‎09-28-2013 10:31 AM - edited ‎09-28-2013 10:33 AM

FiOS cablecard fees have got up to $5 per card. This is absolute highway robbery!! Especially considering Comcast only charges $2.50 per card, and the first card is at NO CHARGE!!

Excerpted from http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD-equipped televisions) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (e.g., TiVo Series 3 boxes), there is a nominal fee for the additional card. Check your local market pricing for this information. Again, this only applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

by kikas on ‎11-11-2013 02:44 PM

I absolutely agree to what folks have to say here.

Verizon says it charges $11.99 to "maintain" the set-top-box - which in the worst case should mean replacing the STB when it conks off. That should be the price of the STB which is probably in the $100-$200 range. 

How can Verizon justify charging for the STB once this cost has been recovered?

No, Verizon does not send you a new STB once a new model comes out - your STB still has to go bad.

It's the same with the cable card. A cable card probably costs $20-$50, which means with a $5/month fee, Verizon makes up for that cost in 4-10 months.

How can Verizon justify charging after it has been paid for?

If the card does go bad, all it needs to do is replace it and maybe charge the customer for it again for 4-10 months.

I want the option to purchase the STB/cable card so that I don't have to deal with such unfair practices.

by Mr-Fix-it on ‎12-13-2013 08:52 AM

Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992 states that cable operators may not prevent customers from using their own equipment if such equipment is technically compatible with the cable system. 

However Verizon refuses to activate any cable card that was not obtained under their rental agreement.

by R2djoe on ‎12-14-2013 02:03 AM
Especially for those that only subscribe to local tv, given that cable-card does not work for pay per view.
by vzn on ‎02-28-2014 11:37 AM

It is really annoying that Verizon charges $5 per month for a cableCard with such a limited functions. Competitors like comcast provide first card for FREE and another card is $1.5 (and they do support "video on demand" on tivo).

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/purchasing-a-cablecard/

If Verizon will keep such shady tactics, they will loose their customers to their competition.

by SeanMcPartlin on ‎06-01-2014 09:26 PM

Yup, I've been annoyed with paying 4.99 per month for a cablecard.  I'm considering leaving FIOS over this and my other beefs with the cost of the service.

by shorts1 ‎09-10-2014 07:36 PM - edited ‎09-10-2014 07:37 PM

Any feedback from Verizon on this topic?  I too am disappointed by the $5 per month charge for the CC when is free with Comcast AND they provide OnDemand through the card.  Would be rally nice to make some progress on this one as the $5 is not justifiable as a per month rental fee.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools