Customers With Disabilities
Canton_Bulldog

DVR/DVD

by Canton_Bulldog on ‎03-12-2012 02:01 PM

I would like to see Verizon make available  a DVR/DVD combination. I don't mind losing TV programming but I hate losing movies that I have recorded on my DVD. I have now lost two DVR's along with all the movies I had recorded on them. If a DVD option were available I could burn Disc for my movie library.

Our service model is focussed on electronic delivery and it is doubtful we will add this feature as a result.
Comments
by on ‎03-12-2012 07:24 PM

This could violate copywrite laws also. Unles Verizon started using the flags. This would be a whole nother can of worms. Can copy this can't copy that. Everyone would blame Verizon.

by Employee on ‎03-20-2012 12:33 PM
Status changed to: Not Likely
Our service model is focussed on electronic delivery and it is doubtful we will add this feature as a result.
by BCarey on ‎05-02-2012 02:55 PM

I've just moved to FIOS from Cablevision where my DVR for years has had the ability to copy recordings to VCR (or in my case to DVD-R).   I really miss ability to archive favorite movies or shows, as well as to capture other "personal-related"  recording clips  such as when an acquaintance happened to be interviewed in a network news show due to being stranded at the local airport that was shut down due to a blizzard. 

Only supporting analog copies (as Cablevision does) perhaps would help mitigate concerns about copying content for commercial/non-private use purposes.

by on ‎05-02-2012 05:49 PM

BCarey - I loved that Cablevision feature, too.  But you can record to a VCR even without that setting on the FiOS menu.

Take a look at the thread referenced by ElizabethS above :

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/copy-to-vcr-or-dvd-feature/idi-p/287275

Here's how to do it:

"by CRobGauth on 03-01-2011 06:39 PM

"You can do this now. Just connect the output of the DVR to your VHS or DVD recorder. Hit record on recorder and play on the DVR. Depending on how you connect TV, you can use one of the unused outputs to connect to recorder. May have to Y off the audio connections to both. I do this now and it works great."

When I had FiOS installed, I had the tech connect my DVR recorder and my VCR to the TV so that I could do this.  (Don't ask me how he did that.)  The first thing I did was try to record to the DVR, which was very simple.  Copying a recording is just the same as recording from live TV.  I haven't tried recording to a DVD, but according to CRobGauth it should work the same.  Of course, you have to record in real time; a one-hour program takes an hour to record.  But I'm pretty sure you can even watch another recording or live TV while you're doing it. 

by BCarey on ‎05-03-2012 05:33 PM

@AnnJ     Nice!  Thanks for that tip. 

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools