Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
RedLfnt

DVR Ideas

by RedLfnt on ‎06-27-2011 08:04 PM

I just switched from Dish Network and thought that FiOS would be a lot better with its superior technology.  However, the DVR is lacking in a lot of ways:

- Need the ability to record only new episodes versus all episodes. I don't want to fill up my DVR with episodes that I've already seen.  By the way, I got stuck with a used DVR that fills up after just a few HD shows. At least Dish gave me new equipment with a larger hard drive even when I upgraded.

- There should be a way to display only the channels that you subscribe to in the Guide. I don't want to flip through hundreds of channels that I don't even get. 

- Should also have the ability to show only HD channels in the Guide for when you feel like watching only HD content.

- Need iPod/iPhone/iPad support for watching shows online. Even the cable companies offer this. I think I saw that this has been announced, but I'm surprised Verizon didn't already support this.

- Need the ability to record from other STBs. Again, Dish has this ability.  I don't want to always have to go upstairs to the main DVR to set a recording.

All of this stuff might already be available with FiOS, but since I got used equipment with no instruction manual, I have no idea how to do anything.

First one exists... second one is available in IMG 1.9, which is in 6 states now and will be available in the rest over the coming months. Third already exists. Fourth is in progress. Fifth is available in IMG 1.9.
Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎06-28-2011 07:40 AM

1)You have the ability to set record options for first run only (same as new).

2) I think that has been asked for before. Not sure if it is coming in next release. But you can set favorites and only show those.

3) You can select HD only for guide.

4) It is coming. Not sure of details but it is supposed to be able to view other places.

5) Coming in next release.

by fttp4me on ‎06-30-2011 04:39 PM

If you watch the help tutorials from the on demand menu you'll find the instructions for how to do these most of these things. Here are just a few suggestions:

#1- Hit the Dvr button, go to series manager, choose your show, then select modify series and set option 1 to 1st run only. Don't forget to save the changes.  To set this when you initially setup the recordings, choose the option to "record series with options" instead of just record series.

#2- Setup your favorites list to only include the channels that you are subscribed to. Cumbersome yes, but that resolves this issue.  I do believe in a future update there will be a more comprehensive solution instead of you having to manually select channels via setting up a favorites list.

#3- Hit the right arrow on the remote control, this brings up the TV modes. Select HD only.

#4- Waiting on Verizon, but its in the works

#5- Will be available with the next software update of the IMG on the set-top boxes. version 1.9. which has been delayed as is customary with most software releases.

by Employee on ‎07-07-2011 04:03 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
First one exists... second one is available in IMG 1.9, which is in 6 states now and will be available in the rest over the coming months. Third already exists. Fourth is in progress. Fifth is available in IMG 1.9.
by Cpt2711 ‎07-27-2011 07:42 AM - edited ‎07-27-2011 07:43 AM

I want to be able to start watching a DVR recording and then switch to live tv and then back to the dvr recording without reentering the DVR menu.You can do this with every other dvr I have ever had including Directv and Comcast. I would just hit the return/last channel button and I am right back where I was without going through the hassel of the hitting dvr and going through folders and then hitting play.

by Oldcop on ‎08-03-2013 12:23 PM

Where do I get an online manual for my STB?

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools