• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
rpproffitt

DVR more shows at once.

by rpproffitt on ‎11-13-2011 07:16 AM

I think we should have the ability to recorded more shows at once.  Some of my friends in Florida have another fiber optic cable service an they are able to record 4 shows at once instead of the standard 2 shows at once.  I was talking with people at Verizon fios and they said its as simple as changing the DVR units and getting ones that would allow 4 shows to be DVR'ed at once.

This feature is currently under review. Stay tuned for updates!
Comments
by Runadi on ‎11-13-2011 09:49 AM

agreed! especially for that sunday 9pm slot where everyone seems to have shows going on.

by on ‎11-14-2011 04:48 AM

Simple - yes and no.  This requires a box with 4 tuners that also supports MoCA for all the Verizon IP communications required (Guide, VOD, Widgets, etc.).  MoCA support is not standard in the cable industry so it is usually a unique box for FiOS and then Verizon needs to develop the operating code (IMG) to support the new hardware.

TiVO has a 4 tuner box now and there are some rumors (no reliable source) that Verizon is working on getting a 4 tuner version, but based on past experience with anything new from Verizon that could be anywhere from 6 months to 2 years.

by Employee on ‎11-15-2011 11:57 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
We acknowledge that as with many things, more tuners might be better. The recently added whole home features in IMG 1.9 allow the use of more than 2 tuners in a home by allowing all of the DVRs in a home to work together. This allows you to extend your tuner count and record and playback more programs at once. I know this is slightly different than what you are asking for, more tuners in one box, but it does provide a scalable equivalent using the equipment available today.
by ‎11-15-2011 05:55 PM - edited ‎11-15-2011 06:00 PM

Thinking about Multi Hub. It should work great as long as no one is messing with the other DVR.

DVR upstairs wants to record wifes programs, and DVR downstairs wants to record husbands programs, and two people are watching programs on both DVRs. How is it any better? Still a conflict. I guess you would need to pay for a DVR no one watches. Can you have three DVRs with multi hub, and who would want to pay $60+ monthly for three DVRs?

by masterchief75 on ‎11-22-2011 06:12 PM

that service that records 4 shows at once is at&t u-verse i think. it uses iptv so all the channels are delivered over the internet so this is why it is able to do this, but this slows down the internet service in the house. 4 tuner boxes for regular qam cable signals aren't common. 

by tommydroid on ‎12-08-2011 01:23 PM

ok, i am not as technical as most.  does this mean verizon is working on a way to allow us to record more than just 2 shows at one time with a software upgrade to my DVR??

by Coasters1950 on ‎12-15-2011 02:10 PM

I just switched to FiOS from AT&T Uverse and was surprised I couldn't record more than 2 shows at the same time. With Uverse, I could record 4.  I really don't want to have to add another DVR to do that - plus I'd have to watch the other shows on a different TV than the one we have set up with our sound system.  Please upgrade the DVR to match your competition!! 

by Gold Contributor VII ‎12-15-2011 02:38 PM - edited ‎12-15-2011 02:39 PM

Coasters1950,

Verizon has previously been asked to provide DVRs with more than 2 tuners. I think they are continuing to look at it, I have not seen any schedule.

However, if you are in an area of the country with the 1.9 level of the IMG already available, and you do get a second DVR, the FiOS service provides Multi-Room and Mult-Hub support so you can record a program on any DVR in the home network and view that program on any STB (DVR or non-DVR). You can also add external storage using an eSATA-attached hard drive to expand the storage on any or all of the DVRs.

If you are in NY, MA, or RI and do not yet have 1.9, when you get it early next year (2012) then what I said above will be true. The 1.8 level of the IMG does not include the Multi-Hub function.

by MVP Hubrisnxs on ‎04-15-2012 03:15 PM
by ezwind51 ‎10-13-2012 06:04 PM - edited ‎10-13-2012 06:10 PM

How about upgrading the DVR so it is on a par with Cablevision's new DVR. With Cablevision now you can record four programs and watch a fifth at the same time. This is a major upgrade compared to Fios DVR, where if recording two programs you can't watch a third. Almost a motivation to switch back to Cablevision.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools