• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
rpproffitt

DVR more shows at once.

by rpproffitt on ‎11-13-2011 07:16 AM

I think we should have the ability to recorded more shows at once.  Some of my friends in Florida have another fiber optic cable service an they are able to record 4 shows at once instead of the standard 2 shows at once.  I was talking with people at Verizon fios and they said its as simple as changing the DVR units and getting ones that would allow 4 shows to be DVR'ed at once.

This feature is currently under review. Stay tuned for updates!
Comments
by smoke189 on ‎03-01-2013 04:18 PM

Yeah right, discussed is a key word here. I'm paying 17/month for obsolete techology and all Verizon does is say it's being discussed.

How's this for a discussion, I'm going to dump my bundle(154/month) and get another carrier. And as soon as my contract is up on my cell phones that's going to the crapper too.

by LIC on ‎03-08-2013 02:23 PM

Everyone else, i.e. cable and dish TV services are offering DVRs with 4 and 5 tuners, ie. you can record that many simultaneous shows.  Verizon is giving us only a lousy 2!

by PenzRule on ‎03-22-2013 10:32 AM

I want to be able to record more that 2 programs at the same time. These boxes are already on the market...why don't you guys offer one. You are way behind the times, Hopper & Genie are eating your lunch. Get cracking on this Big Red!

by Jason_U on ‎03-28-2013 07:59 AM

I just recently canceled my Directv account and the only thing i do miss was the capability of the genie whic was able to record upto 5 channels at once which at times was very convenient to me because i would have 2 shows recording and then be able to watch either basketball/NCAA tournament/ baseball while my shows were recording.  I felt trapped watching 2 shows and not being able to see anything else that was on tv; but when directv came out with the genie it was great not being trapped watching the 2 recorded shows and having the ability to see other shows on tv.  I really hope/want Verizon to make this happen were we as Verizon customers are capable of recording upto 5 shows at once and not feel restricted to 2 channels.   Another thing is that Verizon's movie package doesnt have all their movies in HD which is a bummer.  I know Verizon is capable of doing all these things just wondering how long its going to take. 

by Gold Contributor VII on ‎03-28-2013 08:13 AM

Verizon demonstrated a new FiOS server/client setup at the annual C.E.S in Las Vegas in January this year. It has 6 tuners and can record up to 5 programs at once. Up to 4 clients can be attached to a single server, and I believe you can have up to two client/server setups in your house.

Now the question is, when? And the only answers we were able to get was "soon." I interpret that to hopefully mean 2013, I hope I am right. After playing with the setup for a while I was very excited and interested in getting one in my home.

If you will do a search here on "VMS"  you will find additional information and some pictures. Here is a link to one thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/CES-2013-and-items-that-will-change-the-way-you-enj...

by MOSSMAN on ‎04-14-2013 05:54 AM

The Motorola hardware provided by Verizon is being left in the dust by the new hardware that has is now offered by satellite providers.  My wife and I spend a lot of our time away from home and we have accumulated many hours of programming that we don't have time to watch.  I have considered buying a Slingbox to access the DVR remotely but I really don't want to spend the money though that may be what I end up doing.

Both DTV and Dish now offer multi-room DVR's with 5 tuners.  The TV's in other rooms have small boxes that allow remote access both to one of the tuners in the DVR and to the recorded shows eliminating the need for large set-top boxes or SD converters with all of their limitations.  With FIOS I spend a lot on hardware which provides very limited functionality compared to the hardware available from these satellite providers.  If I want to watch HD on a TV, I have to spend $12/month on a box that is about the same size as some of the TV's we have.  For $6 I get an SD converter that provides no access to any of the upper tier digital channels like Music Choice.  The new Satellite multi-room DVR's change this paradigm to something much more affordable and functional. 

But the Dish multiroom DVR also supports remote streaming access with integrated Sling technology which would be great for us since we spend so much time away from home without the expense and clutter of a separate Slingbox.  Since satellite does not offer on-demand, they really do need enhanced DVR capabilities, but these enhancements are just as valuable for many FIOS users.  Why can't Motorola/Verizon provide a similar capability?  If we can use an app to control the DVR from anywhere in the country, why not give us the ability to access the content on that DVR?  I would rather pay an extra $10 to access that content than spend the $250+ on the Slingbox which would add yet another device.

We have recently cancelled some of our premium content since we have ability to view that content remotely.  I have hung onto Showtime and HBO since at least I can stream those with HBO Go and the Showtime app.  But proving remote access to the DVR does open up any recorded content.

There are other solutions to this problem.  I would have liked to burn DVD's with the content stored on my DVR but today that is a realtime process that is only SD.  Forget it.  I believe the high end TIVO unit allows you to transfer content directly to a laptop for viewing elsewhere.  That is OK but requires some planning as where streaming you can just access the info when and where you want it.

The point is that Satellite providers are changing the business model of proving hardware to their clients but in the process they have made dramatic improvement to hardware functionality which allows them to offer far superior access to content.  Where FIOS and cable competitors are focusing their efforts on increasing Internet speed and the amount of content, they have done very little to address the fact that many of their users have a lot of their content "stranded" on DVR's since they are not home enough to watch that content as fast as it can be recorded. This diminishes the value of content itself.

I do hope that Verizon and Motorola up their game in terms of hardware since today they are no longer competitive with what the Satellite providers are offering.  On demand is nice, but you can not access it outside of the FIOS subscriber's household so it is of little value in reducing problems with "stranded content".  I had never even considering switching my TV service to Satellite in the past, but now I am considering it since their hardware solves my problem but Verizon's does not.

by Silver Contributor III on ‎04-14-2013 12:52 PM
by rosrcruz on ‎04-15-2013 08:28 PM
When is Verizon Fios going to provide a DVR that can record up to 5 or 6 channels at one time. Direc TV has one that records 5 channels at one time. I am seriously considering on changing providers because of this issue. Hurry up Verizon get with it and upgrade your DVRs
by NHWynter on ‎04-20-2013 07:00 PM

So, I have an extended family member who works for Verizon and he was told the Verizon Media Server should have been out in March.  Well, it's April and still no word on when it's release will be.  I really hope that it's soon because I'm honestly getting sick and tired of the networks putting all my favorite shows on from 7-9 on Mondays.  

by Alphamom on ‎04-29-2013 06:04 PM

Please, please, please offer a DVR that can record more shows.  It seems every other commercial on TV is for your competition offering DVR's that can record 4, 5 or 6 shows.  Seems antiquated that Verizon can only record 2 (unless there is something else you offer that I'm not aware of)  The company I used before I moved to "Verizon country" recorded 4 shows and my large family of 6 has been griping ever since.  Stuff like this can be a deal breaker. I hope change is coming soon...

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools