Customers With Disabilities
Sworl

Disable TV Pop-ups

by Sworl on ‎01-04-2011 10:27 AM

Please don't add annoying pop-ups to my tv picture - or at the very least give me the option to disable them.  I don't care that CNN is available on Twitter (I already follow them) and if I want to go to Twitter, I will.  I don't need to be reminded, and I don't want to have to proactively cancel the pop-up.

Thank you.

To be fair this is about to launch... getting update in the system now...

Comments
by puckschmuck on ‎03-07-2011 06:16 PM

I've gotta agree about 95:5 with Reefer.  The only bit Joe makes sense with is that it's a nice feature.  It's not one I really care to use much if at all.  But it's nice to have.  On the other hand, I don't care to constantly be told it's there.  The movie theater analogy is awesome.

Joe, if you were another customer, I'd say sure, your reponse in the forum is appopriate.  But Reefer's a customer with a complaint about - as he stated several times - the pop-up, not the feature itself.  Addressing the complaint rather than tiptoeing around talking about how great it is and how many people supposedly love it.

The other annoying thing about the way it works, is that once you know about it, why do you need to be notified of the feature every time you flip it to that channel and every 30 minutes or whatever is set for.

Work for us, Joe, not against us.  But I give you credit for responding at all.  I wasn't any Verizon reply.

I'm no pothead, but all hail Reefer!

by reefer on ‎03-07-2011 07:48 PM

Thanks, puckschmuck.

I was starting to feel like I wasn't making myself too clear.

I also appreciate Joe getting back to us. I know he must be busy, but I hope he

will understand our simple point here.

Sometimes you get so wrapped up in the inner workings, you can't see the gears.

by on ‎03-08-2011 07:52 AM

Could someone tell me how this is done (to quote Joe_Ambeault):  "millions of tweets are read and sent every month through FiOS TV "?

Through the Twitter Widget?  And how are people writing tweets via the TV -- the popup onscreen keyboard in the widget??  I could see how millions are being sent via people using the FIOS Internet service but through the TV?

by puckschmuck ‎03-11-2011 08:55 PM - edited ‎03-11-2011 09:03 PM

But....

It worked for reefer but I tried this:

FIOS has a feature called "INTERACTIVE TV".

If you go to MENU  > SETTINGS > TELEVISION > INTERACTIVE TV and select DISABLE,

you will stop the CHECK OUT CNN ON TWITTER pop-up!!!

... and I still get the pop up.

What gives, Joe?

EDIT:  Maybe it has a magical time-delay before it takes effect.  Or a wizard behind the curtain.  But it looks like it works now..

by Employee ‎03-14-2011 03:50 AM - edited ‎03-14-2011 04:07 AM

I will continue to be direct in this forum...the comment that my responses were OK if I were a customer validates that for me...

This is not the customer support exchange where I serve scripted answers in response to complaints... it is the idea exchange... where we have civilized debates until we have answers... and I tell you what we are going to do or not do (sometimes why).  So with customer support it is, "sir, we are sorry that is bothering you and we will see what we can do about it" (conversation over).  On idea exchange, "we have had millions of transactions with a very small number of complaints.... you might be the only ones with the issue... we are only going to change X or we are not making any changes".  You say something, which maybe changes our minds... etc, etc.

So... help me out... if you are still willing...

I get now that it is not the Twitter app that's annoying, but rather the pop-up that informs you about the app associated with the channel... if there is no pop-up... how do you know about the option?  Just trial and error?  Tune a channel, press the interactive button and see if anything happens?  Some other less annoying indicator that makes you aware of the feature.   How can I educate about it without being annoying?

by reefer on ‎03-14-2011 09:12 AM

"This is not the customer support exchange where I serve scripted answers in response to complaints...

Great opener!

Is this what Verizon Customer Support does? Or were you talking in general?

Actually the apparent miscommunication on the issue became more annoying than the pop-up. I, and maybe a few others willing to take the time to write on this issue, appreciate the opportunity to make a suggestion about your service. You must realize that only a very small percentage of your customers will bother to take the time to do this. so I am really  not in awe of the millions of transactions with a small number of "complaints." I never viewed the comments here as complaints...more like "what can we do to change this feature?". How about this:  When I first turn to CNN, put the popup in the upper right hand corner. After that, STOP with the repetition. Logistically, this is possible. If I change the channel, then I suffer through ONE more reminder. This is probably not my business, but does Verizon have a contractual agreement with CNN to both place and repeatedly place this pop-up on its channel. If so, then my suggestion is a moot point. Tell me and I will cease and desist. The other suggestion would be to make ALL popups the decision of the user. I think we should not have to "deactivate"  to clear the popup. This is the ONLY popup that I know of. Why do I have to lose my "interactive" options at the expense of one annoying pop-up. Now...if you will kindly go through my questions and give me considered answers, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

P.S.   bevross wants to know how the Twitter Widget works. Maybe a clearer set of online instructions are in order. There are people out there who do not have the "superior knowledge", as they say in law,  that the designers of this feature had. If the average "bev" knew how to work it...you'd have one more customer!!

by tailwaggers on ‎03-14-2011 09:54 AM

Joe_Ambeault wrote: "I get now that it is not the Twitter app that's annoying, but rather the pop-up that informs you about the app associated with the channel... if there is no pop-up... how do you know about the option?  Just trial and error?  Tune a channel, press the interactive button and see if anything happens?  Some other less annoying indicator that makes you aware of the feature.   How can I educate about it without being annoying?"

Think about the way many software applications work. They pop up a dialog to alert you to something or ask you a question: "do you really want to close this appication", "you are about send information over the internet" or whatever. They often have a little checkbox that says "don't show this message again" so you don't keep getting bombarded with popups that you don't want. 

by DaveJ on ‎03-16-2011 07:31 PM

The worst part is the tremendous drag it put on the system when I accidentally hit the button. The picture would start to break up and the sound would get off track while it tried to call up the widget. It would have been nice to be able to find out how to disable this either through the popup or directly through the Verizon site. Online help was useless for this.

by artukraft on ‎12-05-2011 05:14 PM

Thank God for people who are willing to struggle through the red tape and stand for addressing something they believe is wrong. The Verizon/CNN pop up for twitter is really an attack of sorts. The burder of opting out was grudgingly provided by a shocked Verizon administration that just wants to make life better for us. The burden is continually being placed on a half asleep population who just can't care anymore. I am sorry they are so predatory, but at least we can write this, even if we are considered at "the margins of society". 

by Hartsteins1 on ‎01-29-2012 11:27 AM
Interactive widgets have their place in this 2.0 version of television we seem to be entering, but piling them on is not the answer. Please add functionality to treat these interactive elements like the "Favorites" feature for channel selection currently. A user would select a widget and then be presented with a list of channels associated with that widget. User can opt to add or remove matched channels as they see fit thereby really creating a personal experience. If I want to see the CNN twitter popup but not Fox News (if there is one) then this idea allows that level of customization. At first....just like having a full guide with no favorites....all pop-up widgets would be activated to highlight the feature and user can trim from there. Do you think this is possible? I like the idea of interactive tv but don't want it everywhere (and it's going to be in more places and in more programming as time goes on). The current solution of "all on" or "all off" seem unnecessary. Thanks
Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools