• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
as2higpark

Don't charge loyal customers to upgrade to necessary new hardware

by as2higpark on ‎02-09-2011 05:41 AM

I was amazed to find out that now that the new DVRs are available and I have been a loyal customer for over 3 years, patiently waiting and signing up for the official lists to get the new DVR hardware, I win the right to pay VZ $39.99 just to use the new hardware!!! Hardware that I pay monthly for anyways!!! Why is there an upgrade fee for something that I lease? This is unbelievable that we get charged monthly (and I am sure when I upgrade, my grandfathered 12.99 will go up too) and we still have to pay for the actual upgrade? Especially those of us using 6416s which cannot take advantage of new features of the new IMG1.9 (ESata and other features).

VZ, can you explain this? I bet if I was a new customer, I would get the new DVR without a $39.99 fee.

If you have had your DVR for 3-4+ years.... then I have already acknowledged we need to see if there are other options...

But to many of the comments below... when you lease a car and next year or the year after they come out with a better one do you expect to get the new model for free?  And they are the same... your content purchases are separate from equipment charges by federal regulation (buying HBO doesn't subsidize your equipment).  In this comparison gas = content and the car = DVR.... 

So "under review" for customers that have had a box for 3-4+ years, but if you have had your DVR for less than 3 years, then "maybe later"... and I think the fee is fair (just like upgrading your leased car early).

New customers could get any one of the 3 available models just like an existing customers ordering a new DVR for their existing account. We have made this as fair as possible for new and existing customers. 

Comments
by on ‎02-09-2011 06:56 AM
Just another example of how Verizon has become the NEW Comcast. This is a Comcast move, screw the current customer base. You are right, if we were NEW customers we would get the box for FREE. Thanks Verizon for valuing us as customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Contracts do not last forever, remember that!!!!
by Noam on ‎02-09-2011 07:26 AM

You could try calling, and complaining that your DVR is broken (audio drop-outs, pixelization, frequent lockups), and ask them to replace it with a working one. At that point, they probably will send you a 7232 as a replacement.

If you call with a problem that requires a tech to come out (like a bad cable, or a problem affecting all of the TVs in your house), they have 7232's on the truck. There shouldn't be a charge to replace a broken DVR.

by as2higpark on ‎02-09-2011 07:34 AM

@Noam, 

This is my issue with this situation, I thought I was being the good customer and not doing that. I am active on some other (non-VZ) forums where those Ideas have been suggested for months, but I was not in dire need for the new hardware, so I decided to wait and follow the correct procedure. Because of that....I am not penalized.

VZ Admins: do you have an answer for that?

by TechMike on ‎02-09-2011 02:19 PM

So how are they going to handle the fact that some people are going into the stores and getting upgraded at no cost!

Second is that I believe that my unit is broken - I can only access 20 hrs of recording time!  Does that mean I can call for repair to a 7232?

by Noam on ‎02-10-2011 08:32 AM

I've heard rumors that customers with the older QIP-6416's are being upgraded at no charge, since the 6416 doesn't have the hardware for some of the features of the new 1.9 (such as the eSATA port). However, customers with a 7216 (which HAS the eSATA port) will be charged.

I can't verify that rumor, that's just what I heard.

As for your DVR not working properly, you should be able to call, and request a replacement. They will probably want to ship you out a replacement, that you swap yourself. I don't know if they are shipping 7232's yet, they weren't as of a few weeks ago.

You might want to call one of the stores. If there is a store near you, and they have the 7232's, ask them if there is a charge to swap out a defective box (or an eSATA-less 6416).

by mschumer on ‎02-11-2011 05:08 AM

I'm not usually pro business in these situations but do know what the cost must be to produce these DVR's? Then potentially giving them to the entire customer base? $40.00 isn't a lot to ask to keep moving forward. Most Fios customers probably couldn't care less about an expanded DVR. Many probably don't even know what a DVR does. We're the ones that want the technology, always demanding the next big thing. Were the ones who are going to have to subsidize it. If we're not willing to pay then there's no reason for Verizon to keep up.

by mschumer on ‎02-11-2011 05:10 AM

Personally I wish they would just keep everything a secret until it's available. I hate this drag out stuff.

by as2higpark on ‎02-11-2011 05:34 AM

@mschumer, 

I am not naive enough to want something for nothing. But in this case, we are leasing the box to begin with. I am paying, with the grandfathered rate. $155 a year. So on average, if I was to keep the DVR for two years (under estimate as it has been 3 so far), I am paying over $300 for the DVR, on top of my service fees. Doesn't that seem like I am paying for the technology?

Technically, I have already paid over $465 for this DVR, I think it's time for them to give me a new one and let me start paying the next $465 (which will probably be higher due to losing the grandfathered price).

by rko316632 on ‎02-11-2011 10:48 AM

Just spoke with a rep and you can get upgraded to the 7232 moel (320GB) for free, no charge.  The 1.9 is referring to the system build of the dvr, which everyone will get for free whenever it is released.  I also had the 7216 model and am now upgraded to the 7232 model for no extra charge.

by as2higpark on ‎02-11-2011 10:50 AM

@rko316632, 

Did you have to ask about the no charge ? or was that just how it was done? That flies in the face of the email that I and many other have gotten. Have they changed their stance on this?

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools