Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
tns

EAS alerts should not disrupt Recordings.

by Silver Contributor V on ‎10-11-2011 02:30 AM

There are some DVR's for some providers which display EAS, while continuing to record.  On playback the alerts are not displayed (except where a local station also put up the alert).

It would be nice if FIOS could also do this.  Don't know if it is a restriction of the boxes they use or just of the way FIOS does the alerts

we work hard to comply with Federal Regulations because we want you, our customers, to be safe. As these regulations evolve over time we will continue to work to minimize the impact these have when they are simply a test, but need to do so in a way that will allow us to deliver the message if and when you are ever actually in danger.
Comments
by Titus on ‎10-11-2011 04:45 AM

I totally agree...EAS alerts should not disrupt scheduled recordings...hopefully Verizon can make this happen soon

by harley8004 on ‎10-21-2011 07:56 AM

yes, the eas shouldn't disrupt the recording. a simple banner scrolling across the screen or have the recording pickup were it left off. shouldn't take too much in correcting this. got my vote

by Silver Contributor V ‎10-24-2011 01:23 AM - edited ‎10-24-2011 01:24 AM

Note I have had some responses elsehwere that mentioned that using Tivo with fios, and at least one PC TV card with FIOS, that the alert is scolled across the screen, but recordings are not disrupted. So this is definitely something about the boxes fios used, and hopefully can be changed by a future firmware/IMG update.

by on ‎10-31-2011 09:47 AM

The EAS "required weekly test" is incredibly disruptive and obnoxious.

by GustyK on ‎11-03-2011 08:42 AM

This is an interesting subject still under discussion within cable providers. I work for another cable operator and the debate is what to do in this matter.

EAS works by force tuning the box to a pre-defined channel to display the alert.

DVR boxes have 2 tuners.

If you are recording 1 program (and either watching that program or watching another) , the easier solution would be to keep the "recording" tuner exactly where it is and tune-away the other tuner.

The big issue is, if you are recording 2 programs at the same time  EAS needs to force tune the box, therefore, one of the recordings will be disrupted.

Now, be prepared for a nation-wide EAS test scheduled on 11/9 at 2 PM. That will be very disruptive!

Since weekly testing is a requirement from the FCC, the only work around I see is, schedulers to offset the EAS test time in the programming schedule. (i.e:  pausing the active program for pre-recorder material, live broadcast can manage it much more easily)

The problem is, when creating the programming  guide you have to go one by one into this singularities.

Whe there is a real emergency and EAS runs... suck it up.  :smileyhappy:

by Jerry_P on ‎11-04-2011 01:48 AM
Recording or not, these announcements are annoying. If one per week is required, then we have to live with it. But multiple interruptions on multiple days each week is just obnoxious ... and, I'm guessing, Verizon's fault..
by on ‎11-04-2011 09:54 AM

Try using Windows Media Center and these EAS's... they never go away.

by Employee on ‎11-15-2011 01:48 PM
Status changed to: Not Likely
we work hard to comply with Federal Regulations because we want you, our customers, to be safe. As these regulations evolve over time we will continue to work to minimize the impact these have when they are simply a test, but need to do so in a way that will allow us to deliver the message if and when you are ever actually in danger.
by Silver Contributor V ‎12-17-2011 03:54 AM - edited ‎12-17-2011 03:55 AM

Malcolm_Stanley,

We are not asking that alerts not be displayed, but that they not cause recordings to be stopped. If its impossible because of the hardware that's a reason for it to not be done.

Note that certain other DVR's and PC adapters, even when used on FIOS service, DO NOT have this problem. These devices do comply with Federal Regulation.

by Mistaya on ‎04-24-2012 09:23 PM

I absolutely hate those EAS warning even when not recording. What do they do, figure out when there is something coming on that everyone waited for or a discussion on a show your watching and interestedin and when it gets to the best part off goes the EAS and now we have to deal with Nationwide also.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools