Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
ljn

Expand call blocking and allow blocking of calls from an entire area code, or partial number.

by ljn on ‎04-13-2011 06:12 AM

We just recently changed our phone number to a new unpublished number.  Since most numbers are recycled, you are at the mercy of whomever or whatever have the previous owners' information.  The previous owner of this number had multiple bad debts and apparently gave it out to everyone, their landscapng company,  and their dog.

You are only allowed to block 10 specific phone numbers and you cannot block numbers that are "unavailable".  Here's what I would like to see...

1.  Allow more than 10 numbers in the list.  I managed to fill that up a week after I enabled it.

2.  Allow blocking based upon the caller ID and not only the number.  I get lots of calls from "UNAVAILABE" with phone number "UNAVAILABLE".  Trust me, I don't want to talk to them.  I'd like to block all calls from "MONTANA", "UTAH", and "TEXAS".  I don't know anyone there and I don't want to hire them to reduce my credit card rate.

3.  Allow blocking of area codes or partial numbers. I want to be able to enter "(978) 685-????" or "(406) *" and limit my annoyance from these places.

4. Allow call notification and call blocking at the same time.

Thanks for your suggestions. We had similar suggestions a few months ago and have added these to our list for possible enhancements in the future. I am confused about your #4 - allow call notification and call blocking at the same time. Could you expand on this please?
Comments
by big2wheelr on ‎04-14-2011 01:08 PM

I agree with ljn.  RIght on!!

by Employee on ‎04-18-2011 09:12 AM
Status changed to: Clarification Needed
Thanks for your suggestions. We had similar suggestions a few months ago and have added these to our list for possible enhancements in the future. I am confused about your #4 - allow call notification and call blocking at the same time. Could you expand on this please?
by ljn on ‎04-20-2011 08:58 AM

In response to the clarification request...

If  "Reject calls from certain numbers" is selected and call blocking is on and an attempt is made to turn Call Notification on you get the following dialog box...

You have requested to turn the Call Notification Always feature On, but currently the Incoming Call Block - Reject Calls from Certain Numbers feature is turned On. You may not have these two services On at the same time. Do you want to: Turn Call Notification Always On and turn Incoming Call Block - Reject Calls from Certain Numbers Off?

I would still like to get notified of calls to my phone number while rejecting certain ones.

by tahoejoe on ‎04-21-2011 06:03 AM

I requested the expansion of call blocking last year and if I remember correctly, was told that it could not be done with the existing system.  At least now it is being considered for the future.

by ktm1977 on ‎05-03-2012 01:01 PM

It's been a year since this was originally posted. Has any progress been made in implementing this feature? As the OP said, being able to block only 10 numbers is not nearly enough.

by AJR on ‎07-20-2012 03:00 PM
This is something that has been bothering me for some time. It seems totally inadequate to only be able to block 10 numbers at a time. My list filled up pretty quickly, yet I continue to get unwanted calls which I need to block but I can't without removing other numbers. Please do something about this.
by GianmarcoF on ‎08-17-2012 07:39 AM - last edited on ‎08-17-2012 08:21 AM by Moderator

I too am a very frustrated Verizon Residential (triple play) user and for the past 3 {word filter avoidance} years I have been at the mercy of the 406 area code robo Credit Card rate calls (they add new #s evry month and to the now political campaign robo calls (which I expect to increase in number witht the elections coming soon)

ENOUGH is enough!

I get at least 4 calls per day and the only reason I am not permanently killing my landline is becaus I have 2 kids in elementry school and it is a means for us to supervise their phone usage with their friends.

Verizon, you are pathetic, a max of 10 allowable call blocked numbers is pathetic.

Now that I have vented and am thinking clearer, perhaps it is time I do some homework to see if AT&T can offer a better service and if landline phone number portability is allowed.

Gman

by TrueDiva ‎09-08-2012 06:32 PM - edited ‎09-08-2012 07:05 PM

The number of nuisance telephone calls I receive has been so outrageous, I just had to purchase an Incoming Pro Call Blocker from Amazon.com.  It was a tad bit costly, but it was well worth it, and far surpasses Verizon's whimpy 10 call block.  My Incoming Pro Blocker, can block up to 1,500 calls.  That's right, 1,500!  These calls come in from all different area codes; 503, 442, 954, you name it.  I've reported it to Verizon, as well as the FTC, but discovered that when you Google the number, you can find out the telephone service provider.  Maybe it would help you to know that SCAM calls coming in from 617.455.4105 is from Cellco Partnership dba Verizon Wireless-MA; 609.279.0110 is from Verizon New Jersey (Princeton, NJ Somerset County). Calls have come from 201.984.7102 from Comcast Business Comm, Jersey City, and the list goes on, and on, and on.  I've received calls from 503.388.3288; 510.943.3040, 646.376.6666 and 646.432.0770. Today, the SCAM calls came from 888.831.0434 and 442.035.8240. Heck, I even had one from 000.000.0000. It's absolutely ridiculous!  Now, if I can Google and find information on these numbers, Verizon ought to be able to do the same; especially since they're (unwittingly) providing service to some of the SCAMMERS. I am extremely frustrated that Verizon is not doing more to protect their customers. I should not have had to purchase a blocker from an outside source, when I am a Verizon customer.  Verizon, get a grip!  Increase the numbers we can block to a minimum of 250.  If you're not tech savvy enough to do that, then go back to Call Intercept which worked well for me until you claimed to have updated your service and took it away. Finally, if you can't increase the amount of numbers your customers can block, then create brand new, never-before-used numbers, and reserve them expressly for those of us who are bombarded with these kinds of aggravating calls from SCAM artists. If you can't create virgin numbers, pay me, and I'll create some for you. Better yet, develop a way to place a small chip/camera into the phone, that would allow us to see the person calling in, without them being able to see us. That way, we'll be able to describe the SCAMMERS to the police. I can't believe that a country as large and sophisticated as the USA, a telephone company as large and lucrative as Verizon, can't figure out a way to stop SCAM callers altogether.  Period. Dot. End of story!

by mnmkit on ‎09-13-2012 09:11 AM

The original request to increase the amount of numbers to be able to block was over a year ago and no change to the service has been made? Why? How hard is it to make that adjustment? It should be unlimited as to how many calls to put on your list. I really don't think it's that difficult for Verizon to do at their end.

We have our number unlisted and put it on the "do not call" list (what good that did) and we are still getting unwanted calls! Now it's two different cancer charities requesting donations and these calls cannot be stopped because they cried to the FCC that they are exempt from the "do not call" list as they only receive donations for research. I have 6 numbers from the American Institute for Cancer Research alone that I want to block. They come from the 202 area code and they call throughout the day and do not leave messages! I googled each number and there are several complaints about these harassing calls.

Please increase the amount of numbers you can block now - it would make everyone happier! Thanks!

by oypay on ‎10-06-2012 09:16 AM

Please increase the number of allowed blocked numbers from 10 to some reasonable number, such as infinity.

In spite of bein on the Federal Do Not Call List, my home phone is bombarded with phone calls from some bank of phones out in the Seattle area.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools