• RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
jkickenson

FIOS Internet Battery Backup

by jkickenson on ‎06-19-2011 11:36 AM

In a recent electrical storm, my FIOS Internet backup battery was damaged.  I discovered then that the battery is the primary power source, as well as backup.  Rather than a parallel setup, apparently all power is routed via the battery, in a serial fashion.

As a result, with a damaged battery, I have no Internet access, even though I have no power outage.  Until I get a new battery from Verizon.

A backup battery should be backup only.  All other devices I own with battery backups do not require the battery to operate (from alarm clocks to UPS to home alarm systems).  The FIOS design introduces a single point of failure with the battery, which is not necessary.   Future upgrades, and new equipment, should incorporate a design in which either mains power or battery power is sufficient to have Internet access.

Comments
by Admin Emeritus on ‎06-22-2011 01:33 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by MVP Smith6612 MVP on ‎06-25-2011 02:16 PM

The ONT can be set to provide battery backup to one of the three functions the ONT does: Delivers Internet, Delivers TV and Provides Telephone service. If you don't have Voice service or TV service with Verizon you could have them re-program the ONT to keep the Internet powered up should the ONT lose AC Power (or the BBU malfunctions for that matter).

by oreo on ‎06-25-2011 09:22 PM

I thought the battery backup was for phone service only? That in case of a power failure  the phone system will still work. 

by LennyJ on ‎07-03-2011 07:23 AM

jkickenson wrote:

"I discovered then that the battery is the primary power source, as well as backup".

The primary source of power is 120 VAC. The power supply converts this to 48 VDC and then to 12 VDC. The battery will power the phone, internet and video when primary power is lost for a few minutes and then only the phone for a much longer period of time depending on usage. Under normal conditions all features should continue to work on 120 VAC even if the battery is removed unless something in your system is defective.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools