Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
wehope

FIX - Unable to continue watching delayed 'live' show when both tuners become busy

by wehope on ‎12-31-2011 08:42 AM

Probably related to the post about not being able to back up after a show ends.

I was watching a show live and had paused the program (so it's recording). So now I'm 15 minutes behind live.
At the scheduled end of the current show, I had two programs set to record. I was prompted to either cancel one of the two scheduled shows or Do Nothing. Since the show I was watching was 'over', I selected "Do Nothing".

At this point, the show I was watching terminated without my being able to watch the last 15 minutes.

Seriously? You don't have a Use Case Test Case for this? Seems like it would happen quite frequently.

What he said. Pause is tied to a tuner. When the tuner gets reallocated, it takes the pause buffer with it. Sounds like we maybe need to update the messaging so that is more obvious...
Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎12-31-2011 11:21 AM

Makes sense as DVR only has 2 tuners.

What you could have done just before the 2 new recordings were to start would be to hit the record button.

DVR would put everything from the last hour (or beginning of the show whichever was less) and record it.

Then you could have gone back to watch it. Seems a bit cumbersome but a limitation given the way the tuners and live buffers work.

by Employee on ‎01-03-2012 01:20 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
What he said. Pause is tied to a tuner. When the tuner gets reallocated, it takes the pause buffer with it. Sounds like we maybe need to update the messaging so that is more obvious...
by BillKerr on ‎01-06-2012 06:52 AM

I was watching a 15 minute delayed program on a channel set to record on the same channel.  When the scheduled recording started my view immediately switched to the program being recorded and the delayed program I was watching was gone.  There was no warning, this just happened.

I think the DVR should be smart enough to handle situations like this.

by wehope on ‎01-08-2012 09:28 AM

Wait, wait, wait. The solution is NOT to change the message.

The solution is to allow me to seamlessly continue watching the program I was watching. So you should:

- allocate a new buffer to the tuner for the new program, or

- dump the current buffer to a recorded program (file)

And it would solve BillKerr's problem.

Anything is possible in software. If the design doesn't handle this situation, then someone did a sloppy job in defining the requirements.

If you want me to come over and code it up for you, I charge $200/hour plus expenses.

Pressing the "Record" button is a wack around and my guess is that when I get that little prompt, it's not an option. Since there are two other people in the house attempting to fill up the DVR, I don't keep up with the tuner scheduling.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools