Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
Announcements
oliver18754

HD YouTube to HDTVs with Standard FiOS Set Top Box

by oliver18754 on ‎01-14-2012 12:09 PM - last edited on ‎01-14-2012 03:10 PM by Moderator

HD YouTube videos to HDTVs with Standard FiOS Set Top Box.

Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎01-14-2012 07:26 PM

Are you asking for HD YouTbue Videos on a HDTV that uses a SD STB?

by Moderator on ‎07-13-2012 04:48 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged

by oliver18754 on ‎07-13-2012 05:01 PM
CRobGauth Yes I am. A majority of Fios Customers have Standard SET TOP BOXES hooked to HDTVS. Verizon Fios has to realize this and make it possible to stream YouTube content in HD to those Fios that has standard set top boxes hooked to HDTVS.
by Gold Contributor VII on ‎07-13-2012 05:46 PM

oliver18754 said:

"A majority of Fios Customers have Standard SET TOP BOXES hooked to HDTVS."

I don't believe that statement for a moment; but if it were true, then a majority of FiOS customers are dumber than dirt! It makes no sense to spend money to buy an HD TV and then try to save money ($5/month or so) by using an SD STB.

Now if you were to state the reverse I would believe it. I had two SD STBs for 6 years, with SD TVs attached. About 15 months ago I replaced the SD STBs with HD STBs but kept the SD TVs attached. Only in the last month or so have I replaced the TVs with HD TVs.

IMO Verizon needs to focus on:

1) Replacing all of the SD STBs currently installed with HD STBs (QIP7xxx or Cisco). This will give every customer access to all channels, HD and SD, no matter whether they have an HD or SD TV. This step needs to include the DCT-700 Digital Adapters. This will result in a price increase, but so what? The customer gets a better picture, even on an SD TV, and they get more channels.

2) Replacing all of the QIP6xxx STBs currently installed with QIP7xxx or Cisco STBs. This will allow reception of the MPEG-4 channels that are already being distributed (MLB Extra Innings and Mexican channels so far I believe). No change in price.

3) Converting as many existing HD channels as possible from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4. Saves lots of QAM space so more HD channels can be added.

4) Getting the HD equivalent channel for every SD channel that also offers an HD channel. No need for the SD channels if HD versions available.

5) Removing the duplicate SD channels. Saves some QAM space.

6) Adding new HD channels.

#1 and #2 need to be done ASAP. 

#3, #4, #5, and #6 can be done concurrently, as QAM space and channels become available.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools