Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
dangolds

Keep WJAR NBC in RI

by dangolds on ‎12-26-2011 06:46 AM
I realize this is likely a negotiating ploy, but I find last night's WJAR announcement that FIOS may be removing the RI NBC affiliate from its package to be unacceptable. I am a recent subscriber to FIOS, having switched over from COX earlier this month. I'm still within my 30 day trial period, and as much as I like FIOS's services and pricing, I can tell you right now there's no way in hell that I'm going to continue subscribing to a service that can't guarantee to broadcast portions of the NFL playoffs, the Olympics, the Stanley Cup playoffs/Finals, Wimbledon and the Super Bowl. If NBC is removed from my programming package, I will have no choice but to switch back to COX until FIOS and WJAR can get their respective acts together. Please resolve this situation immediately, as I'm sure this is not the impression that FIOS was looking to make across a customer base that's generally no more than 1-2 years old (within the RI region) and in some cases even younger, given the limited amount of time that FIOS has been available as an alternative to COX.
Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎12-26-2011 08:29 AM

This comes up every time a channel is renegotiating with FIOS (and other TV providers as well).

Simple question: Will you agree to pay more if that is what it takes for FIOS to get the contract signed?

Yes you can switch to another provider. But eventually their contract willbe up as well. If FIOS pays more, they set the groundwork for the next provider to have to pay more as well.

But the content providers say their costs are going up, so they need more revenue.

Not an easy place to be on either side.

by Johnfav25 on ‎12-26-2011 09:37 AM

I am somewhat confused.  Will Fios subsitute another NBC provider such as a Boston station, or will we no longer have any access to NBC programming?  I don't really care if they drop WJAR as long as they substitue an alternative.  If Verizon thinks they can drop a major station and not subsitute, I will have my dish turned back on and Fios can simply go away.

by Silver Contributor III on ‎12-26-2011 01:00 PM

They can't substitute. That is what the TV stations bank on (and why they say you should switch).

These usually get settled as neither side looks good whem there is a stoppage (see the NBA).

by broadway02914 on ‎12-26-2011 02:31 PM

There is no way in the world I will stick with Verizon tv if they don't have WJAR on their system.  I'll be back with Cox ASAP.  

by on ‎12-26-2011 03:24 PM

A very similar thing happened not that long ago with Cablevision in NY and NJ over ABC Channel 7.  Channel 7 was off for a while all because of a huge fight over the money when the contract was up and of course neither side looked good in that debate and guess what?  Eventually Channel 7 came back on again when a deal was reached and that was the end of it.  Frankly, I don't think it makes any difference what provider you use when it comes to that and I don't think switching providers is as easy as switching banks.  It's always doable but there is always the time and expense involved.   

by Lorie on ‎12-26-2011 05:51 PM

Verizon should be ashamed of itself for attempting to take away a local station .  Most of us rely on WJAR for breaking news and current weather conditions.  There are many other stations that could be dropped that are a true wastes of air space if cost is an issue.  If WJAR is dropped I will drop Verizon.  I do not feel the need to be loyal to a company that does not support local television stations. 

by jonesasqua on ‎12-27-2011 03:27 AM

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN AT VERIZON....Please stop this foolishness. What are you thinking by dropping WJAR 10 from your channel line-up. What are you crazy? We have subscribed to your Fios service since you first came to our area. I am shocked that you would not come to an agreement with this station for continued use. Not only do we get all our news and weather EVERYDAY from WJAR, we also watch all our football on this channel.

Do you really understand what you are doing to thousands of your customers. I can tell you this..If my husband can not watch the NFL playoffs, etc. he will absolutely have us change our cable provider.

I have been extremely happy with Verizon Fios, but like so many other people who have you as their cable provider, we too will be forced to change back to Comcast/Cox. Really...with the prices you charge each customer for their service, I would think you could come to an agreement with WJAR. I know my cable has almost tripled in price since we first signed on..so come on...don't take our WJAR away!!!!!!!!!!

by Silver Contributor III on ‎12-27-2011 05:42 AM

Why is everyone just picking on Verizon? Have you posted similar comments on the WJAR website?

How do you know that WJAR hasn't asked for some ridiculous amount?

And BTW, Verizon is not the only ones who run in to these types of issues.

Cox just had the same issue with a local DC channel.

See these competing press releases:

http://www.wjla.com/news/newschannel-8/cox/moreinfo.pdf

http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=390

These just signed a new deal, so channel won't be lost. That is how most of these go down.

Neither side wants to have the channel go dark as it upsets customers.

by on ‎12-27-2011 02:28 PM

Exactly!  And no one can say for certain that it's Verizon's fault without knowing all the details.  And even if a particular channel gets lost temporarily over this, it still gets restored eventually because no cable or Fios provider wants to lose business and get a bad reputation over that. 

When this sort of thing happened with Cablevision, this one station was not lost for very long.  That is absolutely the worst that could happen if you ask me and if that really were to happen, you could watch that station with the use of  a rabbit ears antenna.  The reception probably wouldn't be great but there really are worse things than that.

by markmac1144 on ‎12-27-2011 07:31 PM

I too have been a subscriber to Fios since it first came to my area. I hope this can be resolved before Dec 31st. I can not think what it would be like not having WJAR  on my service provider. I will change subscribers if it comes down to this. Lets hope both side come to an agreement soon. Im sure both sides are making a lot of money either way.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools