Customers With Disabilities
  • RESIDENTIAL
  • BUSINESS

Verizon Business Sites

• WIRELESS
CrankyOldGuy

Longer display times for caller-id on TV

by CrankyOldGuy ‎03-11-2012 05:52 PM - edited ‎03-11-2012 06:07 PM

The display times available for caller-id on TV are too short. They shouldn't be timed at all. If a message is important enough for me to request that it be displayed, it should stay available to me until I acknowledge I've read it or another similar message comes in. I know untimed messages of this type can be done because of the unrequested, untimed messages that are displayed on various channels such as "Press FIOS TV to Shop". If it is impossible to have an untimed message, please consider that the person might not be watching the tv that particular second and that the TV is the largest most easily seen from a distance callerid display in the house. Therefore message times should give someone time to walk into the room after hearing the phone ring. Timed messages in general always seem to fade away immediately after I notice them but before I've read them. Why does some programmer somewhere think that they have any idea how long a message should be displayed to me when they have absolutely no idea what else is going on when they display it? Yeah, I know, I'm cranky.

we'll see if we can put a setting in for that
Comments
by Employee on ‎03-20-2012 12:12 PM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
we'll see if we can put a setting in for that
by Silver Contributor V on ‎03-24-2012 02:30 AM
Adjustable timer maybe. Untimed, I would be against.
by CrankyOldGuy on ‎03-24-2012 09:36 AM

tns, I would love to know why you would be against EVERYONE ELSE having the OPTION to have untimed messages. Perhaps you feel that you know better than EACH OTHER CUSTOMER how long that person should be given to read a message that he asked for and might want unlimited time to read and maybe even WRITE DOWN. If so, please tell me what the maximum amount of time I should be given to read a Caller-ID that I asked to be displayed. Perhaps you think having an unread message on the screen for too long will cause other customers to become lazy and not drop whatever they're  doing at the time to come running to read their carefully timed message. I really am at a loss as to the thinking behind computer systems lacking the patience to actually WAIT TILL PEOPLE READ MESSAGES. I understand people being impatient with computers. I don't understand computers being impatient with people. Who's working for whom?

by Silver Contributor V on ‎03-26-2012 02:07 AM

I suspect almost no one would want to always have to respond to the callerid's to get them off their screen.  Normally people only want them up long enough to decide if they want to stop and pick up a phone call.

Your header suggest a longer time, which I would agree to.  But your post talks about unlimited time.  Since there are no options on this board to vote other than for a suggestion, I posted my comment to give my personal opinion.

by CrankyOldGuy on ‎03-26-2012 05:37 AM

tns, thanks for responding. I appreciate your opinion. Despite my crankiness about the issue, I really do want to understand the motivation behind timed messages because I'm seeing more and more of them. I agree that some folks might not want to have to click a remote button to get the callerid off the screen. But, wouldn't the OPTION of having an untimed message  along with various times take care of all cases? Those who know they will always read the callerid within x seconds won't have to reach for the remote while those who think they might not know in advance how long it will take them to notice and read the  callerid can choose the untimed option. What do you think?

by Silver Contributor V on ‎03-28-2012 03:10 AM

Note that at least one satellite competitor has instead a way to recall a screen with a history of callerid's.

by Mistaya on ‎04-23-2012 10:22 PM

I knew what was being suggested the first time. I figured he would like the choice of it not timing out and not take away anyone elses preferences. I have missed many called IDs because I looked away for a minute but luckly my phone also has it. I would not want to hit a control button though for it it to go away but have wished for a little more choices in time.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Account & Services

• Pay Bill
  • Add/Change Services
  • Manage My Rewards+
  • Renew Your Contract
  • Manage Services
  • Visual 411

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools