Customers With Disabilities
Lance2011

Make DVR recordings start and stop on time

by Lance2011 on ‎04-04-2011 12:27 PM

It is annoying to lose the last minute of every show.  The system knows when the show starts & ends, so why go 1 minute early?

the system doesn't know exactly when a show starts or stops... If it is scheduled to complete at 9pm... but goes 30 seconds after the hour (9:00:30)... the DVR doesn't know that fact. The only way for this to work is for the content providers to send a signal to DVR's telling them where to start and stop... except DVR's enable commercial skipping and no programmer would spend money on something that endangers their business... So we continue to provide tools that help mitigate the chance of clipping the start/ end of a recording, but not fully eliminate it.
Comments
by Employee on ‎04-05-2011 04:00 AM
Status changed to: Acknowledged
the system doesn't know exactly when a show starts or stops... If it is scheduled to complete at 9pm... but goes 30 seconds after the hour (9:00:30)... the DVR doesn't know that fact. The only way for this to work is for the content providers to send a signal to DVR's telling them where to start and stop... except DVR's enable commercial skipping and no programmer would spend money on something that endangers their business... So we continue to provide tools that help mitigate the chance of clipping the start/ end of a recording, but not fully eliminate it.
by Lance2011 on ‎04-05-2011 11:08 AM

The problem is when you  have back to back recordings scheduled, you lose the last minute of the show you were interested to watch the last minute of a show you had no interest in watching.  At least make them start  / stop on the published times.

by JBell on ‎04-05-2011 07:24 PM

I don't know what the technical solution is here but I do know that this is an issue for me on 95% of the recordings since I've switched to FIOS and was not nearly as big an issue with COX.  Seems to me like the clocks are out of sync - I usually get 30 sec of the previous show and miss 30sec of the show I'[m trying to record.  Again, much less a problem with the same content through COX.

by kht ‎10-27-2011 08:40 PM - edited ‎10-27-2011 08:55 PM

Clipping overlapping shows would also be a good feature.

by physedna on ‎06-09-2012 10:30 AM

I've had Cox and Directv...neither of them has this problem.  ONLY VERIZON!!!!  Clean it up already!!!  Total nonsense that it cant be done.  If u expect a provider to do it, then I guess Cox and Directv are smarter than u are because its a non-issue on their DVRs.  Fios has the WORST logic flow of any tv/dvr systems I have ever seen as well.  Never have I had to back out of so many decision branches to do basic things like search for other showing of a program or find a new program.  Which by the way, new shows dont show up on the search lists until right beore they start.    And even then the program descriptions are pretry darn funny....are those being typed up in India by chance? Please at least make the DVR start and work on time. Its a basic place to start.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools