Customers With Disabilities
thefoxbox

Make the boxes use less energy when they're off.

by thefoxbox ‎03-28-2011 10:00 PM - edited ‎03-28-2011 10:03 PM

I know electronics generate heat, and that's understandable while they are being used.

I was watching an HD program on my HD receiver (no DVR; just a receiver) and that program ended about 3 hours ago and I turned it off right after that program ended. The box is still unbelievably warm. Even in the morning, the box will still be producing heat. Why? DirecTV boxes don't generate anywhere close to that much heat (even when they are on) unless they are the DVR boxes, so why should this thing? I don't want to have to run my A/C more just because of the heat a box generates... pretty sad, and sad for the environment, too.

Our most recent boxes are much more green.. and we continue to put in new software to make them use less power
Comments
by Silver Contributor III on ‎03-31-2011 05:42 PM

One note. Turning off the box really doesn't turn it off. All it does is turn off the output. But box is still basically on (especially if you have the screensaver set).

by Employee on ‎04-04-2011 04:02 AM
Status changed to: Already Exists
Our most recent boxes are much more green.. and we continue to put in new software to make them use less power
by on ‎04-04-2011 01:35 PM

With a good chuckle.... the new boxes use less power because there's no clock on the front   :-)

In all honesty, look at the spec's for the new boxes, for the Motorola side of the house the old 6416 was up in the 90watt range, and I think the new 7232 is in the 30watt range, I'll take the cost savings!

by ronjohn on ‎05-08-2011 07:16 PM

Whatever man.. Verizons DVRs suck up power when they are off even when not recording. I put a voltameter on it and you can hear the hard-drive moving even when not recording. Even on the new QIP7232.

Idea Statuses
Have an Idea?
If you have a new idea to share, please search before posting. Many times someone else has already posted your idea and you can just vote there instead!

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools